And what good can you do her?
你能帮她什么忙?
Nonsense, Jane! I would never think of running a hundred miles to see an old lady who will, perhaps, be dead before you reach her. Besides, you say she cast you off.
胡闹,简!我才不会想跑一百英里去看一个老太太呢,而她也许还没等你赶到就死了。更何况你说她把你抛弃了。
Yes, sir, but that is long ago; and when her circumstances were very different.
不错,先生,但那已是很久以前了,而且当时的情况不同。
I could not be easy to neglect her wishes now.
现在要是我无视她的心愿,我会不安心的。
How long will you stay?
你要呆多久?
As short a time as possible, sir.
尽量短些,先生。
Promise me only to stay a week.
答应我只呆一星期.
I had better not pass my word. I might be obliged to break it.
我还是不要许诺好,很可能我会不得不食言。
At all events you will come back.
无论如何你要回来。
You will not be induced under any pretext to take up a permanent residence with her?
在任何情况下都要经得住劝诱,不跟她一辈子住在一起。
Oh, no! I shall certainly return if all be well.
呵,对!要是一切顺利,我当然会回来的。
And who goes with you? You don't travel a hundred miles alone.
谁同你一起走?可不能独个儿跑一百英里路呀?
No, sir, she has sent her coachman.
不,先生,她派了一个赶车人来。
A person to be trusted?
一个信得过的人吗?
Yes, sir, he has lived ten years in the family.
是的先生,他在那儿已经住了十年。
Mr. Rochester meditated. “When do you wish to go?”
罗切斯特先生沉思了一会。“你希望什么时候走?”
Early tomorrow morning, sir.
明天一早,先生。
Well, you must have some money. You can't travel without money, and I dare say you have not much. I have given you no salary yet.
好吧,你得带些钱在身边。出门可不能没有钱。我猜想你钱不多。我还没有付你工资呢。
"How much have you in the world, Jane? "he asked, smiling.
"你一古脑儿还有多少钱,简?"他笑着问。
I drew out my purse. A meagre thing it was.
我取出钱包,里面瘪瘪的。
Five shillings, sir.
五先令,先生。
He took the purse, poured the hoard into his palm, and chuckled over it as if its scantiness amused him.
他伸手拿过钱包,把里面的钱全倒在手掌上,噗吃一声笑了出来,仿佛是钱使他高兴似的。
Soon he produced his pocket-book: “Here,” said he, offering me a note.
他立刻取出了自己的皮夹子,“拿着吧,”他说着递给我一张钞票。