"In course!" he exclaimed, with a twang of voice and a distortion of features equally fantastic and ludicrous.
“当然!”他大叫道,嗓门里带着鼻音,面部抽搐了一下,表情既古怪又可笑。
He looked at me some minutes.
他打量了我几分钟。
And old Madam Reed, or the Misses, her daughters, will be solicited by you to seek a place, I suppose?
你会去求老夫人里德,或者她的女儿,也就是那些小姐们给你找个工作,我猜是吧?
No, sir. I am not on such terms with my relatives as would justify me in asking favours of them, but I shall advertise.
不,先生,我亲戚们没有那层可以请求帮忙的关系--不过我会登广告。
"You shall walk up the pyramids of Egypt!" he growled.
“你还可以大步跨上埃及金字塔!”他咆哮着。
At your peril you advertise! I wish I had only offered you a sovereign instead of ten pounds.
你登广告是冒险:但愿我刚才只给了你一镑,而不是十镑。
Give me back nine pounds, Jane, I've a use for it.
把五镑还给我,简,我要派用处。
"And so have I, sir," I returned, putting my hands and my purse behind me.
“我也要派用处,先生,”我回嘴道,双手抓住钱包藏到了背后。
I could not spare the money on any account.
那钱我说什么也不放。
"Little niggard!" said he, "refusing me a pecuniary request! Give me five pounds, Jane."
“小气鬼!”他说,“问你要点儿钱你就拒绝!给我五镑,简。”
Not five shillings, sir, nor five pence.
连五镑也不给,先生,五便士也不给。
Just let me look at the cash.
让我就瞧一瞧你的钱吧。
No, sir, you are not to be trusted.
不,先生,我不能相信你。
Jane! Sir? Promise me one thing.
简!先生?答应我一件事。
I'll promise you anything, sir, that I think I am likely to perform.
先生,凡是自己力所能及的,我都能答应。
Not to advertise, and to trust this quest of a situation to me. I'll find you one in time.
不要去登广告,你就把找工作的事交给我办吧,到时候我会给你找一个。
I shall be glad so to do, sir,
我很乐意这么做,先生。
if you, in your turn, will promise that I and Adèle shall be both safe out of the house before your bride enters it.
只要你反过来不答应我,在新娘进屋之前我和阿黛勒都太太平平离开这所房子。