I neither expressed surprise at this resolution nor attempted to dissuade her from it.
我既没有对她的决定表示惊奇,也没有劝说她打消这个念头。
"The vocation will fit you to a hair," I thought: "much good may it do you!"
“这一行对你再适合不过了,”我想,“但愿对你大有好处!”
When we parted, she said: "Good-bye, cousin Jane Eyre; I wish you well: you have some sense."
我们分手时她说:“再见,简·爱表妹,祝你走运,你还是有些见识的。”
I then returned: "You are not without sense, cousin Eliza;
我随后回答道:“你也不是没有见识,伊丽莎表姐。
but what you have, I suppose, in another year will be walled up alive in a French convent.
但再过一年,我想你的禀赋会被活活地囚禁在法国修道院的围墙之内。
However, it is not my business, and so it suits you, I don't much care."
不过这不是我的事儿,反正对你适合--我并不太在乎。”
"You are in the right," said she; and with these words we each went our separate way.
“你说得很对,”她说。我们彼此说了这几句话后,便分道扬镳了。
As I shall not have occasion to refer either to her or her sister again, I may as well mention here,
由于我没有机会再提起她或她妹妹了,我不妨在这儿说一下吧,
that Georgiana made an advantageous match with a wealthy worn-out man of fashion,
乔治亚娜在婚事上得以高攀,嫁给了上流社会一个年老力衰的有钱男子。
and that Eliza actually took the veil,
伊丽莎果真做了修女,
and is at this day superior of the convent where she passed the period of her novitiate,
度过了一段见习期后,现在做了修道院院长,
and which she endowed with her fortune.
并把全部财产赠给了修道院。