11个问题
Glenda Jackson The two-time Oscar winner and former British parliamentarian is back on Broadway in Edward Albee’s Three Tall Women
两届奥斯卡得主、前英国国会议员格伦达·杰克逊重返百老汇,出演爱德华·阿尔比的《三个高女人》
(Question No.1:)You acted for 35 years and won two Oscars, and then you spent 23 years in the British Parliament.
(问题1:)您演戏演了35年,还拿了两座奥斯卡,之后又当了23年的议员,
Now you’re acting again, at 81. Any fears?
现在,您准备再次登上荧幕,在81岁这样一个年纪,有担忧吗?
(Answer:)Absolutely. I didn’t think I would have the physical or vocal strength for it.
(回答:)绝对有啊。感觉体力和声音的力量已经跟不上了。
So I swam every morning at my local baths until I could swim a half hour unbroken.
所以,我每天早上都会去我们那儿的浴池游泳,直到我可以一口气游半个小时为止。
(Question:)It’s a small club, the people who have been successful in acting and in politics. How are the jobs similar?
(问:)在表演事业和政治道路上都能成功的人其实很少,您觉得这两种工作有什么相似之处吗?
(Answer:)All great drama is essentially trying to tell the truth about what we are.
(回答:)所有伟大的戏剧本质上都是想告诉我们我们究竟是什么样。
All Shakespeare ever asks is, Who are we, what are we, why are we?
莎士比亚自始至终都在问一个问题:我们是谁,我们是什么,我们为什么是我们?
And I think politics at its best is trying to find out how you do create a society in which there is genuine equality which acknowledges that we are diferent.
而最理想的政治就是设法弄清楚如何实实在在地创造一个承认人与人的不同并在此基础上实现真正的平等的社会。
(Question:)You can afford to be choosy about roles. Why this play?
(问:)您本来是有那个实力自己选角的,但您为什么还是选了这出戏呢?
(Answer:)It’s a very tough play to do.
(回答:)这出戏很难演。
A major plus is that you’re acting with other actresses,
但有一个最大的好处,那就是能和其他女演员同台演出,
because—and this has never changed in my lifetime—contemporary dramatists don’t find women interesting.
因为——这辈子我一直认为——当代剧作家觉得女性没意思。
(Question:)How has theater changed since you left?
(问:)您离开舞台后,戏剧界发生了怎样的变化呢?
(Answer:)A theater is a theater is a theater.
(回答)剧院就是剧院就是剧院。
It’s a dark space which strangers fill, and you’re in the light.
是一个坐满了陌生人的黑暗空间,你却在灯光之下。
Hopefully, something from the light goes into the dark, and the dark increases that and sends it back, and you create this perfect circle.
顺利的话,灯光之下的某种东西能够穿透到黑暗里,在黑暗里酝酿之后再重新反射到舞台上,一个完美的圈子就这样形成了。
(Question:)How do you feel about the recent outing of all the sexual harassers in show business?
(问:)您对最近演艺圈爆出的各色性骚扰者有什么看法?
(Answer:)In my country, two women die every week at the hands of their partners.
(回答:)在我国,每周都有两名女性死于伴侣之手。
The idea that this is suddenly going to transform the lives of women is absurd.
认为女性生活就会因此发生突变的想法是荒谬的。
Violence against women is as old as we are.
针对女性的暴力问题历来就有。
The trafficking of women isn’t going to stop because some big guy in Hollywood has to give up his company.
贩卖女性的问题不会停止,因为那样好莱坞某些大人物的公司就要垮了。
And to think that people didn’t know it was going on. Come on.
而认为人们不知道这种事情正在上演的观念还会继续发展下去。拜托。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。