(Question:)Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura and even, in a sense, President Trump all made the transition from entertainer to politician.
(问:)罗纳德·里根,阿诺德·施瓦辛格,杰西·文图拉,从某种程度上来说,总统特朗普也不例外,这些人都经历了从艺人到政客的转型。
But not so many women.Why?
但这方面的女性并不是很多。为什么?
(Answer:)It’s much, much harder for a woman to go into politics.
(回答:)女性从政要比男性难得多得多。
There are so many roadblocks.
女性从政会遇到很多阻碍。
I remember speaking to a conservative MP, and she said she’d get questions like, Well, who will look after the children if you’re campaigning?
我记得,我曾经和一位保守党议员聊过,她说她甚至会被问,“你去参加竞选,你的孩子谁照顾?”
(Question:)A record number of women are running for election in the U.S. this year. What’s your advice?
(问:)今年,美国这边参加竞选的女性人数创下了历史新高。您对她们有什么建议吗?
(Answer:)You have to acknowledge it’s going to be hard.
(回答:)首先,我们必须承认她们的竞选之路会很艰难。
You’re asking people to give you something which, in my opinion, is their most precious possession: their vote.
因为你是在请求大家给你他们的选票,而在我看来,那是他们最宝贵的财产。
Voters have every right to question you on the level that goes beyond the usual social exchange.
选民完全有资格在超越社交的层面上质疑你。
You have to be ready for that.
所以,竞选的女性同胞必须在这方面做好准备。
(Question:)Is there something you mourn about growing older?
(问:)关于变老,有什么是会让您伤心的吗?
(Answer:)It irritates me that I can’t cut my own toenails.
(回答:)剪不到自己的脚趾甲这件事让我很恼火。
(Question:)What do you think you’ve gained in return?
(问:)您觉得您得到了什么?
(Answer:)I have realized how much I don’t know. That’s a real revelation.
(回答:)我认识到了我不懂的事情还有很多很多。算是一种领悟吧。
This idea that age blesses you with some kind of knowledge is rubbish.
那种认为岁月会让人变得睿智的想法简直就是无稽之谈。
(Question:)Your mother was a cleaner and your father a bricklayer.
(问:)您的母亲是清洁工,您的父亲是泥瓦匠。
What did you try to give to your son from your upbringing?
您希望您的儿子从您的成长经历学到什么呢?
(Answer:)He went to a local school, he never came near a theater or a film set, he was never photographed.
(回答:)他上的是我们当地的一所学校,他从来没去过剧院或者片场,也从来没有被拍过照。
He said to me once, “Are you famous?”
有一次他问我:“你很出名吗?”
I said to him, “Well, possibly.”
我对他说,“嗯,可能吧。”
He said, “What are you famous for?”
他说:“那你是为什么出名的?”
I thought then we’d done pretty well.
当他问出这样的问题的时候,我就觉得我们已经做得很好了。
(Final question)Who have the bigger egos, actors or politicians?
(最后一个问题)谁的自尊心更强,演员还是政治家?
(Answer:)The egos that I saw in Parliament wouldn’t have been tolerated for 30 seconds in the theater.
(回答:)我在议会里看到的人们的自负程度放在戏剧里能被容忍的时间最多不会超过30秒。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。