To go to a cocktail party and to see an hors d'oeuvres that has a toothpick sticking up from it,
去参加鸡尾酒会,看着插了一根根牙签的水果拼盘,
the point of that toothpick makes me feel shocks of electricity down the back of my legs.
那些尖尖的牙签就会让我感觉有股电流沿着我脊椎通过。
People are perplexed by that.
对此大家都觉得很困惑。
My name is Carolyn Hart, I have mirror-touch synesthesia.
我是卡洛琳·哈特,我有镜像触觉联觉反应。
Mirror-touch synesthesia is a conflation of the senses.
镜像触觉联觉是一种感官的融合。
The things that you see are felt on your skin.
就是你的皮肤会直接感觉到你看到的情况。
If I see another person's injuries, well I feel that in my own body.
如果我看到别人身上有伤,我自己也会有受伤的感觉。
If I see someone get touched, I feel that on my skin.
看到别人被抚摸我也会有被抚摸的感觉。
I'm a massage therapist.
我是一名按摩师。
I think my mirror-touch synesthesia has really helped me.
我觉得,我的这种反应真的起了一定的作用。
When someone tells me what they're feeling in their body, well I feel it in my body.
当有人告诉我他们身体的感觉时,我感觉我的身体里也有同样的感觉。
And I think it makes me more able to help that person.
感觉这让我能够更好地帮助到他人。
Every single day I will see something that triggers waves of pain.
每天我都会看到一些能引发我痛苦的事情。
It makes it really hard for me to participate in a lot of contemporary entertainment.
这让我很难参与到很多当代娱乐里。
Like I really love Game of Thrones and I can't watch the program because it's so violent.
就像虽然我真的很喜欢《权游》,但我看不了这个剧,因为画风实在太暴力了。
I also have really positive experiences.
但我也有非常积极的经历。
When I watch ballet I feel my muscles fire.
比如看别人眺芭蕾舞的时候,我能感觉到我的肌肉也在燃烧。
When I see them executing pirouettes I feel like I'm spinning.
当我看到大家转圈的时候,我感觉我自己也在旋转。
And that's not an emotional sense of "Gee, this is really lovely and so beautiful to watch."
但这并不是那种“天啦,看起来真的很可爱,很美哎”那种感觉。
I feel it in my body. I can't control it.
我是身体自己感觉到的,是不受我控制的。
If I was to lose my synesthesia, I would lose part of myself that would be irretrievable and irreplaceable.
如果失去这种感觉,我就将失去并且永久失去不可替代的一部分自我。