These little custard tarts, these eggy, sugary treats are everywhere in Portugal.
这种小个小个的蛋挞,这种用甜甜的,鸡蛋味儿的美味葡萄牙到处都是。
Here, here, and here.
这儿,这儿,还有这儿。
Some say the Pastéis de Belém is the original pasteis de nata, or custard tart.
有人说贝莲蛋挞是蛋挞的鼻祖。
In this little factory, through this kitchen, there's a recipe that has been kept top secret for almost 200 years.
在这个小工厂里,穿过这个厨房,有一个秘方被保守了近200年。
Not this one, guys. You can't get in here. I'm sorry.
这间不能拍,哥们儿。你们不能进去。对不住了。
Okay, I'm Miguel Clarinha, and I'm part of the management of Pastéis de Belém.
我是米格尔·柯林林,是贝莲蛋挞管理层的一员。
This special recipe you will only find here, at this shop.
这个特别的配方只有我们这家店才有。
We sell an average of about 20,000 tarts a day.
我们平均每天要卖出2万个蛋挞。
In the summer, maybe around 40,000 cakes.
夏天的时候每天大约能买四万个蛋糕。
A lot of cakes.
好像还挺多的哈。
Pastéis de Belém, as they call them here, are simple tarts, really: egg yolk, milk, some flour, sugar,
贝莲蛋挞,他们这边就是这么叫的,的配料并没有什么不同,一样是蛋黄,牛奶,适量面粉和糖,
but it's how they make them in complete secrecy that makes these tarts a national treasure.
但真正让这些蛋挞变身为国之瑰宝的是他们在完全保密的情况下制作蛋挞的方式。
We have six people knowing the recipe.
我们有六个人知道这个配方。
In the family, my father, my cousin, and myself.
我们家里知道的人有我父亲,我表弟,还有我自己。
We all trained the three chefs, which is Vito Artur Domingos, Yodizel Janeiro, and Carlos Martins.
我们一起培训了三位厨师,他们是Vito Artur Domingos, Yodizel Janeiro和Carlos Martins。
The recipe is so secret, all the bakers sign nondisclosure agreements to keep the timeless tarts a true mystery.
这个蛋挞配方的保密级别高到所有的面包师都签署了保密协议,保证这些永不过时的蛋挞永远都是秘密。
Pastéis de Belém is one of the earliest recipes at least here in Lisbon.
贝莲蛋挞是里斯本最早的蛋挞之一。
We know that the recipe was invented in the Monastery of Jeronimos in the early 19th century.
我们知道这个配方是19世纪初杰洛尼莫斯修院发明的。
This one.
就是这个修道院。
Once they have the recipe, the chefs, now sworn to secrecy, are given keys to this door.
拿到食谱后,发誓保密的厨师们就会拿到这扇门的钥匙。
They work inside the factory in a separate room that we call the oficina do segredo in Portuguese.
他们在工厂里的一个单独的房间,在葡萄牙语中我们称之为“隔离工作间”的地方工作。
It's like the secret shop or secret room.
就像一间秘密商店或密室一样。
They have to work in a separate room, because the process can only be seen by them.
他们必须在一个单独的房间里工作,因为这个过程只能被他们看到。
’Til today we haven't found anyone that explained the recipe as it is.
直到今天,我们还没有发现有任何人能解释这道蛋挞的做法的。
If it happens, well, we probably would have to lock him up in the basement and throw away the key.
如果真的被我们发现了,我们可能得把他关在地下室然后把钥匙扔掉了。
No, just kidding.
开个玩笑。
Okay, secret-keeper. What's the best way to eat one of these custard tarts?
好吧,保密者。那吃这种蛋挞的最佳姿势是什么?
Usually I like it simple, but that's just me.
通常我喜欢直接吃,但这只是我的习惯。
Most people like with a little bit of cinnamon on top.
大多数人都喜欢在上面放一点肉桂。
This is the hard part of the job.
这是这份工作中最难的部分。
Yeah, this is super hard.
没错,真的是太难了。
I don't know how you do it.
我都不知道你是怎么做到的。