Haven't you ever had those times in your life
一生中,你是否有过这样的时刻,
where you just feel all consumed with tasting something again that you haven't had in years and years?
就是想吃你好多年都没再吃过的某个东西想吃到抓狂的地步?
That's really what I'm doing here, is bringing back those incredible desserts, those incredible experiences that have gone extinct.
我正在做的事情就是找回那些好吃到爆的甜点,找回那些已经消失的,不可思议的体验。
I put myself through this process of resurrecting desserts
我之所以投身重拾昔日甜点这个事情
because I truly feel that a good dessert can change the course of your day.
是因为我打心眼儿里觉得好的甜点是可以改变我们接下来这一天的状态的。
I'm Valerie Gordon, owner of Valerie Confections, and I'm also a dessert anthropologist.
我是瓦莱丽·戈登,瓦莱丽糖果公司的老板,也是一名甜品人类学家。
The way this project of resurrecting historic desserts began
这个重拾昔日甜品的计划是这么开始的,
was in 2009, the food editor from the Los Angeles Times magazine asked me
2009年的时候,《洛杉矶时报》的美食编辑邀请我
to create a Blum's Coffee Crunch for an article that she was doing.
为她正在写的一篇文章制作一个布鲁姆家的咖啡脆脆蛋糕。
And it was this amazing full-circle moment,
那次经历可以说是一个圆满而美妙的时刻,
because I grew up with that cake; I know that cake, and I missed that cake terribly.
因为我就是吃那种蛋糕长大的;我是很了解那个蛋糕的,而且,我也非常非常想念那个蛋糕的味道。
Blum's was an incredible bakery and cafe in California. There were eight locations.
布鲁姆家是加州一家超赞的面包店煎咖啡吧。他们有八家分店。
The last one closed in the ’80s.
最后一家也在80年代关门了。
When the article came out, we literally received 125 phone calls from people going, “Oh my God, I want this cake.”
文章发表以后,我们接到了125个电话,都是来跟我们说,“天哪,我想吃这个蛋糕”的。
The desserts that I've resurrected to date are, of course the Koffee Krunch Cake from Blum's.
被我复活的甜点有,布鲁姆家的咖啡脆脆蛋糕就不说了,
I've brought back the Banana Shortcake from Chasen's,
除此之外还有查森家的香蕉酥饼,
the Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake is another cake that I've resurrected,
棕色德比西柚蛋糕也是,
and now soon to be the Cof-fiesta sundae, as well.
嘉年华圣代也差不多快好了。
The anthropology of the dessert resurrection is really one of the most interesting parts of all of this.
复兴甜点的人类学研究部分可以说是整个过程中最有趣的部分了。
I start the research process at the central library.
我的研究流程是从中央图书馆开始的。
There is a room, and this is a very well-guarded room, called the Menu Vault.
图书馆里有一个房间,一个叫“菜单库”的戒备森严的房间。
There are menus that date back for 150 years.
里面连150年前的菜单都有。
I find that looking at the actual menus is so much more gratifying than just pulling something up online
我发现,查看实际的菜单要比在网上找更令人满意,
because you're really getting to the heart and soul of the place.
因为你能真正进入这个地方的心脏,进入这个地方的灵魂。
You're almost transported into that place at that time by holding something that these people held.
那个时候,手里拿着一份前人也曾拿过的菜单,会让人有种穿越的感觉。
You really are.
真的。
Then I email a bunch of people, or I call a bunch of people who were natives to Los Angeles, or whatever city the bakery was in to find out, hey, do you remember this? Do you remember that?
之后,我会给洛杉矶,或者那个烘焙坊所在的随便哪个城市的很多当地人发邮件或是打电话,问他们,嘿,你还记不记得这个……?记不记得那个……?
We always used to call this the adult sundae because this is the one my mom would eat.
我们以前叫它成人圣代,因为是我妈妈她们吃的。
Can they describe the texture of a whipped cream?
问他们能不能跟我描述一下那个奶油的质地啊?
Can they tell me whether there was vanilla in it, or not?
里面有没有香草等等。
I'm pretty sure they did one basic recipe for whipped cream, and then flavored accordingly.
我敢肯定,他们肯定是有一个核心的奶油配方的,不管什么口味都是在那个基础上发挥的。
It was little kid whipped cream.
是一种儿童奶油。
One cherry. Yes.
还会放一个樱桃。嗯嗯。
This is amazing.
太棒了。
Like, you have been indispensable.
这忙你可帮大了。
I'm not particularly interested in retro.
我对复古并不是特别感兴趣。
It is about reliving those sense memories.
我在意的是重拾那些感官记忆。
It's sort of like when you hear a song that was your favorite song from 1982, you're really thrown back into that moment.
这好比你听到一首1982年你最喜欢的歌的时候,你的思绪也会回到当时的情形。
It's become this very emotional, very fulfilling part of my job to bring these cakes back for people.
为大家重新找回这些蛋糕已经成了我工作中非常感人也非常令人满足的一部分。