"He has said the same thing to me," I replied.
“他同我说了同样的话,”我回答。
"He has! Do you believe him? Have you accepted him?"
“他说啦!你相信他吗?你接受了吗?”
"Yes." She looked at me bewildered.
“是的。”她大惑不解地看着我。
"I could never have thought it.
“绝对想不到这点。
He is a proud man: all the Rochesters were proud: and his father, at least, liked money.
他是一个很高傲的人。罗切斯特家族的人都很高傲,至少他的父亲很看重金钱,
He, too, has always been called careful. He means to marry you?"
他也常被说成很谨慎。他的意思是要娶你吗?”
"He tells me so."
“他这么告诉我的。”
She surveyed my whole person: in her eyes I read that they had there found no charm powerful enough to solve the enigma.
她把我从头到脚打量了一番,从她的目光中我知道,她这双眼睛并没有在我身上发现足以解开这个谜的魅力。
"It passes me!" she continued; "but no doubt, it is true since you say so.
“简直让我难以理解!”她继续说。“不过既然你这样说了,毫无疑问是真的了。
How it will answer, I cannot tell: I really don't know.
以后的结局如何,我也说不上来。我真的不知道。
Equality of position and fortune is often advisable in such cases;
在这类事情上,地位和财产方面彼此平等往往是明智的。
and there are twenty years of difference in your ages. He might almost be your father."
何况你们两人的年龄相差二十岁,他差不多可以做你的父亲。”
"No, indeed, Mrs. Fairfax!" exclaimed I, nettled; "he is nothing like my father!
“不,真的,费尔法克斯太太!”我恼火地大叫说,“他丝毫不像我父亲!
No one, who saw us together, would suppose it for an instant.
谁看见我们在一起,都绝不会有这种想法。
Mr. Rochester looks as young, and is as young, as some men at five-and-twenty."
罗切斯特先生依然显得很年轻,跟有些二十五岁的人一样。”