Unfortunately, she told me that she encountered resentment from another source — the navy wives.
遗憾的是,她告诉我,对她的怨恨竟然来自那些军嫂们。
At an onshore "welcome" dinner, the wives of her colleagues pounced and accused her of being a "bra-burning feminist out to prove a point."
在一次海岸欢迎宴会上,同事们的妻子都指责她是“一个跳出来证明自己的、烧了胸罩的女权主义者”。
They forced her to defend her career choice, reputation, and personal life.
她们的行为逼得她不得不去捍卫自己的事业选择、名誉以及个人生活。
"I was shocked! Talk about uncomfortable!" she wrote. "I did my best to answer their questions and stand my ground.
“我真是吃惊万分!这简直让人太不舒服了!”她写道,“我尽可能地回答她们的问题,同时坚持自己的立场。
Eventually they backed off and started in on my husband!"
最后她们对我的态度总算缓和了些,但是又开始批评我的丈夫!”
We must work harder to rise above this.
我们必须付出更多的努力去克服这些问题,
The gender wars need an immediate and lasting peace.
立即停止这样的性别战争。我们需要永久的和平。
True equality will be achieved only when we all fight the stereotypes that hold us back.
只有当所有人都去反对那些阻碍女性进步的观念时,真正的平等才会实现。
Feeling threatened by others' choices pulls us all down.
因他人的理解而感到威胁,这样的心理会把所有人都拉下水。
Instead, we should funnel our energy into breaking this cycle.
相反,我们要正确引导自己去打破这样的怪圈。
Sharon Meers tells a story about a school parents' night she attended in which the children introduced their parents.
莎伦·密尔兹讲述了她参加过的一个“家长之夜”,活动中孩子们会向大家介绍自己的父母。
Sharon's daughter Sammy pointed at her father and said, "This is Steve, he makes buildings, kind of like an architect, and he loves to sing."
密尔兹的女儿萨米指着她爸爸说:“这是史蒂夫,他是修大楼的,他还喜欢唱歌。”
Then Sammy pointed at Sharon and said, "This is Sharon, she wrote a book, she works full-time, and she never picks me up from school."
然后萨米指着妈妈说:“这是莎伦,她写书,每天都在工作,放学时从不来接我。”
To Sharon's credit, hearing this account did not make her feel guilty.
密尔兹听到女儿这么说也没觉得很自责,
Instead, she said, "I felt mad at the social norms that make my daughter feel odd because her mother doesn't conform to those norms."
她反倒想:“让我生气的是那些陈旧观念,我女儿之所以显得与众不同,仅仅是因为她母亲不按照那些老观念行事。”