And I ended by talking about attaining your 'optimum levels of discomfort'. What does this mean? What does this mean?
然后我以找到你们的“最佳不适水平”结束。这是什么意思,什么意思
So we can look at approaches to change or reactions to change, behavioral change along the continuum of tension.
我们可以寻找改变的途径或方法,伴随紧张的连续统一体的行为改变
Most of us most of the time are in our comfort zone.
我们大多数人在大多数时候都蜷缩于舒适区
It's great. It's wonderful. However, when we are in the comfort zone, very little change happens.
这很好,很不错,但是,当我们处于舒适区里时,很少发生变化
If you go beyond that, we get to our stretch zone. This is what we call the optimal discomfort zone.
当跳出舒适区,就到了拉伸区。也就是最佳不适区
This is where change actually happens.
这就是改变实际发生的地方
Beyond that is the panic zone. This is where we have anxiety and difficulty.
再越过这个就是恐慌区。此时我们就有了焦虑和困扰
This is the place that is usually unhealthy. Unhealthy for change.
这通常是不健康的区域。对于改变来说不健康
Because very often, we can go back on where we were before.
因为这时通常我们都会回到原来的状态
You can think about this with a metaphor: the comfort zone would be freezing water.
可以打个比方,舒适区就像是结冰的水
The stretch zone would be flowing water.
拉伸区就是流动的水
The panic zone would be boiling water.
而恐慌区就是沸腾的水
Again, a lot of movement, but out of control and potentially dangerous.
非常躁动,但难以控制,并且十分危险
The best way to be usually is in the stretch zone. You'll read about it next week when you read about flow.
一般最好是呆在拉伸区里,下周当你们读到“流动”时会读到这个
Flow is when you have optimal level of arousal, optimal level of tension.
流动就是当你受到适度的刺激,适度的紧张
When the task that you are doing, or whatever you are doing, is not too difficult nor too easy.
当你做的事,或者别的什么,既不会太难也不会太简单
See what I did at the end of last class was certainly, as I said, as you saw I hope, out of my comfort zone.
我上节课最后的部分,很显然,正如我所说,你们所见,就越出了我的舒适区
However, it wasn't enough, well, maybe, but probably not in the panic zone.
可是它还不足以,可能够了……但应该还没到恐慌区