Here and there I strayed through the orchard,
我漫步穿过果园,
gathered up the apples with which the grass round the tree roots was thickly strewn;
把树根周围厚厚的青草底下的苹果捡起来,
then I employed myself in dividing the ripe from the unripe;
随后忙着把成熟了的苹果和其他苹果分开,
I carried them into the house and put them away in the store-room.
带回屋里,放进储藏室。
Then I repaired to the library to ascertain whether the fire was lit, for, though summer,
接着我上图书室去看看有没有生上火炉,因为虽是夏天,
I knew on such a gloomy evening Mr. Rochester would like to see a cheerful hearth when he came in:
但我知道,在这样一个阴沉的夜晚,罗切斯特先生喜欢一进门就看到令人愉快的炉火。
yes, the fire had been kindled some time, and burnt well.
不错,火生起来已经有一会儿了,烧得很旺。
I placed his arm-chair by the chimney-corner: I wheeled the table near it:
我把他的安乐椅放在炉角,把桌子推近它。
I let down the curtain, and had the candles brought in ready for lighting.
我放下窗帘,让人送来蜡烛,以备点灯。
More restless than ever, when I had completed these arrangements I could not sit still, nor even remain in the house:
这一切都安排好以后,我很有些坐立不安,甚至连屋子里也呆不住了。
a little time-piece in the room and the old clock in the hall simultaneously struck ten.
房间里的小钟和厅里的老钟同时敲响了十点。
"How late it grows!" I said. "I will run down to the gates:
“这么晚了!”我自言自语地说:“我要跑下楼到大门口去。
it is moonlight at intervals; I can see a good way on the road.
借着时隐时现的月光,我能看清楚很远的路。
He may be coming now, and to meet him will save some minutes of suspense."
也许这会儿他就要来了,出去迎接他可以使我少担几分钟心。”