Yesterday, however, just as I was thinking of leaving the office,
然而,昨天正当我想离开办公室的时候,
my clerk entered to say there was a gentleman waiting who wished to see me upon business.
我的办事员进来通报,有位先生为业务上的事情希望见我,
He brought up a card, too, with the name of 'Colonel Lysander Stark' engraved upon it.
同时递给我一张名片,上面印着莱桑德·斯塔克上校的名字,
Close at his heels came the colonel himself, a man rather over the middle size, but of an exceeding thinness.
紧跟着他进屋的就是上校本人。他中上等身材,只是极其瘦削,
I do not think that I have ever seen so thin a man.
我从来没有见到过这么瘦削的人。
His whole face sharpened away into nose and chin, and the skin of his cheeks was drawn quite tense over his outstanding bones.
他的整个面部瘦削得只剩下鼻子和下巴,两颊的皮肤紧绷在凸起的颧骨上。
Yet this emaciation seemed to be his natural habit, and due to no disease,
然而他这种憔悴模样看来是天生的,而不是由于疾病所致,
for his eye was bright, his step brisk, and his bearing assured.
因为他目光炯炯,步伐轻快,举止自如。他的衣着简朴整齐。
He was plainly but neatly dressed, and his age, I should judge, would be nearer forty than thirty.
他的年龄,据我判断,大约将近四十岁。
'Mr. Hatherley?' said he, with something of a German accent.
'是哈瑟利先生吗?'他说,有点德国口音,
'You have been recommended to me, Mr. Hatherley,
'哈瑟利先生,有人向我推荐说,
as being a man who is not only proficient in his profession but is also discreet and capable of preserving a secret.'
您不但精通业务,而且为人小心谨慎,能够保守秘密。'
I bowed, feeling as flattered as any young man would at such an address.
我鞠了一躬,就象任何一个青年那样,听到这类恭维的话就感到飘飘然。
'May I ask who it was who gave me so good a character?'
'我可以冒昧地问一下,是谁把我说得这么好呢?'
'Well, perhaps it is better that I should not tell you that just at this moment.
'哦,也许目前我还是不告诉您为好。
I have it from the same source that you are both an orphan and a bachelor and are residing alone in London.'
我从同一消息来源还听说您既是一个孤儿,又是一个单身汉,并且是独身一人住在伦敦。'
'That is quite correct,' I answered;
'一点也不错,'我回答说,
'but you will excuse me if I say that I cannot see how all this bears upon my professional qualifications.
'但是请您原谅,我看不出这些和我业务能力有什么关系,
I understand that it was on a professional matter that you wished to speak to me?'
据我所知,您是为了一件业务上的事情来同我洽谈的。'
'Undoubtedly so. But you will find that all I say is really to the point.
'的确如此。但是您会发现我没有半句废话。
I have a professional commission for you, but absolute secrecy is quite essential–absolute secrecy, you understand,
我们有一件工作想委托您,但是最重要的是绝对保密,绝对保密,你懂吗?
and of course we may expect that more from a man who is alone than from one who lives in the bosom of his family.'
当然,我们可以希望一位独居的人比一位和家属生活在一起的人更能做到绝对保密。'
'If I promise to keep a secret,' said I, 'you may absolutely depend upon my doing so.'
'您可以绝对相信,'我说,'如果我向您保证严守秘密,那我就一定会做到的。'