As he said this, he released me from his clutch, and only looked at me.
他一面说,一面松开了紧握的手,只是看着我。
The look was far worse to resist than the frantic strain: only an idiot, however, would have succumbed now.
这眼神远比发疯似的紧扯难以抗拒。然而现在只有傻瓜才会屈服。
I had dared and baffled his fury; I must elude his sorrow: I retired to the door.
我已面对他的怒火,把它挫败了。我得避开他的忧愁,便向门边走去。
"You are going, Jane?"
“你走了,简?”
"I am going, sir."
“我走了,先生。”
"You are leaving me?" "Yes."
“你离开我了?” “是的。”
"You will not come? You will not be my comforter, my rescuer?
“你不来了?你不愿来抚慰我,拯救我?
My deep love, my wild woe, my frantic prayer, are all nothing to you?"
我深沉的爱,凄楚的悲苦,疯狂的祈求,你都无动于衷?”
What unutterable pathos was in his voice! How hard it was to reiterate firmly, "I am going."
他的嗓音里带着一种多么难以言表的悲哀!要毅然决然重复“我走了”这句话有多难!
"Jane!" "Mr. Rochester!"
“简!” “罗切斯特先生。”
"Withdraw, then, I consent; but remember, you leave me here in anguish.
“那么你就离开吧,我同意,但记住,你撇下我在这儿痛苦不堪。
Go up to your own room; think over all I have said, and, Jane, cast a glance on my sufferings -- think of me."
上你自己的房间去,细细想想我说过的话,而且,简,看上一眼我的痛苦吧,想想我吧。”
He turned away; he threw himself on his face on the sofa.
他走开了,一脸扎进了沙发。
"Oh, Jane! my hope -- my love -- my life!" broke in anguish from his lips. Then came a deep, strong sob.
“呵,简!我的希望--我的爱--我的生命!”他痛苦地脱口而出,随后响起了深沉而强烈的哭泣声。