Still indomitable was the reply
但是那回答依然是不可改变的,
"I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.
“我关心我自己,愈是孤单,愈是没有朋友,愈是无助,那我就愈是自尊。
I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man.
我会遵守上帝创造、由人批准的法规,
I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad -- as I am now.
我会坚持我清醒时,而不是像现在这样发疯时服从的准则。
Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation:
法规和准则不光是为了没有诱惑的时刻,
they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour;
而是针对现在这样,肉体和灵魂起来抗拒它的严厉和苛刻的时候。
stringent are they; inviolate they shall be.
它们再严厉也是不可破坏的。
If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?
要是出于我个人的方便而加以违背,那它们还有什么价值?
They have a worth -- so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane -- quite insane:
它们是有价值的--我向来是这么相信的。如果我此刻不信,那是因为我疯了--疯得可厉害啦,
with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs.
我的血管里燃烧着火,我的心跳快得难以计数。
Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot."
此刻我所能依靠的是原有的想法和以往的决心:我要巍然不动地站在那里。”
I did. Mr. Rochester, reading my countenance, saw I had done so.
我这么做了,罗切斯特先生观察着我的脸色,看出我已经这么办了。
His fury was wrought to the highest: he must yield to it for a moment, whatever followed;
他的怒气被激到了极点。不管会产生什么后果,他都得发作一会儿。
he crossed the floor and seized my arm and grasped my waist.
他从房间一头走过来,抓住我胳膊,把我的腰紧紧抱住。
He seemed to devour me with his flaming glance:
他眼睛那么冒火,仿佛要把我吞下去似的。
physically, I felt, at the moment, powerless as stubble exposed to the draught and glow of a furnace:
肉体上,这时我无能为力,就像扔在炉中强风和火光里的草根,
mentally, I still possessed my soul, and with it the certainty of ultimate safety.
精神上,我的心灵保持着克制,正因为这样,我对最终的安全很有把握。
The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter -- often an unconscious, but still a truthful interpreter -- in the eye.
幸亏灵魂有一个诠释者--常常是位无意识的,却仍是忠实的诠释者--那就是眼睛。
My eye rose to his; and while I looked in his fierce face I gave an involuntary sigh;
我与他目光相对,一面瞪着他那付凶相,一面不由自主地叹了口气。
his gripe was painful, and my over-taxed strength almost exhausted.
他那么紧握着使我很痛,我由于过分用力而精疲力尽了。