The subjects have been alone for only a short time.
受试者们独自在黑屋的时间还不算长。
Across the globe, thousands of prisoners are held in solitary confinement for vastly longer periods of time.
纵观全球,成千上万囚犯被单独监禁的时间可比这长多了。
In America alone, there are 20,000 such inmates.
单在美国,就有2万名此类犯人。
62-year-old Paris Carriger was found guilty of murder
62岁的巴里·卡里杰因谋杀罪
and sentenced by an Arizona court to 100 years in prison and the death penalty.
被亚利桑那州一间法院判处100年监禁和死刑。
I have spent several years off and on in a standard isolation cell.
我曾断断续续地在一间标准隔离牢房里呆过好几年。
What that means is that this is a cell approximately six feet by eight feet.
我的意思是那间隔离室面积大约是6英尺X8英尺。
It is a place where you're kept in the dark.
那个地方漆黑一片。
The times that you were spending at that time was 10 to 15 days out of stretch.
当时,单独监禁期一次是10到15天。
By law, they couldn't leave you in more than 15 days
法律规定,单独监禁一次不得超过15天,
without taking you out for four before they put you back in.
且两次单独监禁之间至少要隔四天。