I would have got past Mr. Rochester's chamber without a pause;
我本打算停也不停就走过罗切斯特先生的房间,
but my heart momentarily stopping its beat at that threshold, my foot was forced to stop also.
但到了他门口,我的心便暂时停止了跳动,我的脚也被迫止步了。
No sleep was there: the inmate was walking restlessly from wall to wall; and again and again he sighed while I listened.
那里没有睡意,房中人不安地在墙内打转,我听见他一次又一次叹息着。
There was a heaven -- a temporary heaven -- in this room for me, if I chose: I had but to go in and to say
要是我愿意,房间里有一个我的天堂--暂时的天堂,我只要跨进门去说:
"Mr. Rochester, I will love you and live with you through life till death,"
“罗切斯特先生,我会生生死死爱你,同你相伴,”
and a fount of rapture would spring to my lips. I thought of this.
喜悦的泉水会涌向我嘴边,我想到了这情景。
That kind master, who could not sleep now, was waiting with impatience for day.
那位善良的主人,此刻难以成眠,不耐烦地等待着破晓。
He would send for me in the morning; I should be gone.
他会在早上把我叫去,我却已经走了,
He would have me sought for: vainly.
他会派人找我,而白费工夫。
He would feel himself forsaken; his love rejected: he would suffer; perhaps grow desperate.
他会觉得自己被抛弃,爱被拒绝了,他会痛苦,也许会变得绝望。
I thought of this too. My hand moved towards the lock: I caught it back, and glided on.
我也想到了这一层,我的手伸向门锁,但又缩了回来,仍旧悄悄地往前走去。
Drearily I wound my way downstairs: I knew what I had to do, and I did it mechanically.
我忧郁地走下弯曲曲的楼梯,知道该做什么,并机械地去做了。
I sought the key of the side-door in the kitchen;
我找到了厨房边门的钥匙,
I sought, too, a phial of oil and a feather; I oiled the key and the lock.
还找了一小瓶油和一根羽毛,把钥匙和锁都抹上油。
I got some water, I got some bread: for perhaps I should have to walk far;
我也弄一点水和一些面包,因为也许得长途跋涉,
and my strength, sorely shaken of late, must not break down.
我的体力最近已大伤元气,但千万不能倒下,
All this I did without one sound.
我没有一丝声响做完了这一切。
I opened the door, passed out, shut it softly. Dim dawn glimmered in the yard.
我开了门,走了出去,轻轻地把它关上,黎明在院子里洒下了暗淡的光。
The great gates were closed and locked; but a wicket in one of them was only latched.
大门紧闭着上了锁,但一扇边门只上了门栓。
Through that I departed: it, too, I shut; and now I was out of Thornfield.
我从这扇门走了出去,随手又把它关上,现在我出了桑菲尔德。