A mile off, beyond the fields, lay a road which stretched in the contrary direction to Millcote;
一英里外田野的那边有一条路,伸向与米尔科特相反的方向。
a road I had never travelled, but often noticed, and wondered where it led: thither I bent my steps.
这条路我尽管常常看到,但从来没有走过,不知道它通向哪里。我信步朝那个方向走去。
No reflection was to be allowed now: not one glance was to be cast back; not even one forward.
此刻不允许忆旧了,不允许往后看上一眼,甚至也不得往前看一眼。
Not one thought was to be given either to the past or the future.
不能回想过去,也不能瞻望将来。
The first was a page so heavenly sweet -- so deadly sad
过去是一页书,那么无比美妙--又是那么极度悲哀
that to read one line of it would dissolve my courage and break down my energy.
读上一行就会打消我的勇气,摧毁我的精力。
The last was an awful blank: something like the world when the deluge was gone by.
而未来是一个可怕的空白,仿佛洪水退去后的世界。
I skirted fields, and hedges, and lanes till after sunrise.
我沿着田野、篱笆和小路走着,直到太阳升起。
I believe it was a lovely summer morning:
我想那是个可爱的夏日清晨,
I know my shoes, which I had put on when I left the house, were soon wet with dew.
我知道离家时穿的鞋子已很快被露水打湿。
But I looked neither to rising sun, nor smiling sky, nor wakening nature.
但我既没看初升的太阳,微笑的天空,也没看苏醒的大自然。
He who is taken out to pass through a fair scene to the scaffold,
被带往断头台,路见漂亮景色的人,
thinks not of the flowers that smile on his road, but of the block and axe-edge;
不会有心思去想路上朝他微笑的花朵,而只是想到行刑时的木砧和斧头的利刃,
of the disseverment of bone and vein; of the grave gaping at the end:
想到身首的分离,想到最终张着大口的墓穴,
and I thought of drear flight and homeless wandering -- and oh! with agony I thought of what I left. I could not help it.
我想到了令人丧气的逃跑和无家可归的流浪--呵,想起我离开的一切多么令人痛苦。而我又无可奈何。
I thought of him now -- in his room -- watching the sunrise;
此刻我想起了他--在他的房间里--看着日出,
hoping I should soon come to say I would stay with him and be his.
希望我马上会去说,我愿意与他呆着,愿意属于他。
I longed to be his; I panted to return: it was not too late; I could yet spare him the bitter pang of bereavement.
我渴望属于他,渴望回去,现在还不算太晚。我能免除他失我的剧痛。