手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > Emma的美味英语 > 正文

第17期:时间介词 in,on,at,by

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Hello! This is Emma from mmmEnglish,

你好!我是来自mmmEnglish的Emma,
back with another lesson on the mmmEnglish YouTube channel.
带着mmmEnglish YouTube频道的另一堂课回来了。
Now a few weeks ago I made a video lesson using articles in English.
几周前,我用英语做了一个视频课程。
If you missed it, you can watch it up here.
如果你错过了,你可以在这里观看。
But in that video, I said that articles are one of the biggest problems for English students because they are the cause of so many grammar mistakes!
但是在那个视频中,我说过文章是英语学生最大的问题之一,因为它们是那么多语法错误的原因!
And it's true!
这是真的!
As a University English teacher, I saw these mistakes all the time!
作为一名大学英语老师,我总是看到这些错误!
But coming very close behind mistakes with articles are mistakes with prepositions.
但是紧随冠词错误之后的是介词错误。
Now, prepositions are words like these in, on, at, by with for over under of to
介词是像这样的词in, on, at, by with for over under of of to
There are many of them in English and like articles, prepositions are difficult to understand.
英语中有很多介词,就像冠词一样,介词很难理解。
Sometimes the reasons why you should choose one over another, it's not really obvious.
有时候你应该选择一个而不是另一个的原因并不明显。
And sometimes there are exceptions and differences depending on who you actually talk to whether they speak American English or British English.
有时也有例外和差异,这取决于你和谁交谈,他们说的是美式英语还是英式英语。
So what's the secret to these prepositions?
那么这些介词的秘密是什么呢?
How can you possibly know when and how to use them correctly?
你怎么可能知道何时以及如何正确地使用它们呢?
Well, the answer might not be one that you like.
答案可能不是你喜欢的。
There's no simple rule, there's no one answer.
没有简单的规则,没有统一的答案。
Prepositions need to be learnt in context with the other words that they're used with.
介词需要在语境中与其他与介词连用的词一起学习。
Trying to understand why we say “in the car”
试图理解为什么我们说" in the car"
and “on the bus”
以及“on the bus”
will only end in tears and frustrations!
只会以眼泪和挫折告终!
By learning the phrase “in the car”
通过学习" in the car "这个短语
together, all together will make it easier to remember it and also to get it right every time.
一起,所有的一起会让你更容易记住它,也会让你每次都做对。
You're not thinking about which preposition but you're remembering the phrase.
你不是在思考哪个介词,而是在记住这个短语。
All of the words together.
所有的单词放在一起。
Now last week I talked about these prepositions in, on, at and by.
上周我讲了介词in on at by。
But all when they're used to talk about place or the position of something.
但是当它们被用来谈论地点或某物的位置时。
Let's meet at the library.
我们在图书馆见。
He's in the kitchen.
他在厨房里。
I'll see you on the bus.
公共汽车上见。
He's waiting by the car.
他在车旁边等着呢。
If you missed that lesson, you can catch it up here.
如果你错过了那堂课,你可以在这里补上。
But today we're going to focus on these same prepositions but for when they give information about time.
但是今天我们要关注这些相同的介词但是当它们给出关于时间的信息时。
I'll be there in five minutes.
我五分钟后到。
I'll meet you at 3pm on Thursday.
周四下午3点见。
We need to be there by noon.
我们必须在中午之前到达那里。
So first, let's go over the main points that we need to remember.
首先,让我们复习一下需要记住的要点。
“At”is used in reference to specific times on the clock or points of time in the day.
At是指一天中时钟上的特定时间或时间点。
“In”usually refers to periods of time.
In通常指一段时间。
And “on”is used with dates and named days of the week.
“on”用于日期和一周中的指定日期。
And “by”is used specifically with an end point of time and it means no later than.
“by”专门用于表示时间的结束点,它的意思是不晚于。
Let's start with “at”.
让我们从at开始。
Use “at”for very specific times.
在特定的时间使用“at”。
Clock times for example.
在特定的时间使用“at”。
The train arrives at 3:30.
火车3:30到达。
The party starts at midnight.
聚会午夜开始。
The meeting will finish at 5:30.
会议将在五点半结束。
I'll be there at noon or at midday at midnight at dawn at dusk.
我将在中午(at noon or at midday)在午夜(at midnight)在黎明(at dawn)在黄昏(at dusk)到那里。
All of these words refer to specific time but we can also use “at”with other specific times of the day, like He doesn't like driving at night.
所有这些词都指特定的时间,但是我们也可以用at来表示一天中其他特定的时间,比如他不喜欢晚上开车。
I'm going shopping at lunchtime.
我午餐时间去购物。
I read my daughter a story at bedtime.
我在睡前给女儿读了一个故事。
Let's talk about it at dinner tonight.
我们今晚吃饭时再谈吧。
So there, I just called the time dinner.
所以,我就叫了时间晚餐。
It's not the meal name there, I'm using the time.
这不是用餐名称,我在用时间。
We'll talk about it at dinner time, tonight.
我们今晚吃饭的时候再谈。
But often it's not spoken.
但通常不会说出来。
One thing that you must be careful about is with morning, afternoon evening and night.
你必须注意的一件事是早上,下午,傍晚和夜晚。
We say “at night”
我们说" at night "
but for all of these other times of the day we say “in the morning”
但是对于一天中其他的时间我们说" in the morning"
“in the afternoon”
“in the afternoon”
“in the evening”
“in the evening”
So - and don't forget the article as well, right?
也不要忘了这篇文章,对吧?
Now there's also some really common fixed expressions that use the preposition “at”
还有一些非常常见的固定表达使用介词at
when you're referring to a specific point in time.
当你指的是一个特定的时间点。
She's working at the moment.
她现在正在工作。
So when you're talking about an action that is happening around the present moment, you're not using “”
所以当你谈论当下正在发生的一件事时,不能用“in the moment”
- all the Italians out there!
-外面全是意大利人!
In the moment, I'm working on a very interesting project.
In the moment,我正在做一个非常有趣的项目。
No! It's “at the moment”
错了,应该用“at the moment”
At the moment, I'm working on a very interesting project.
目前(At the moment),我正在做一个非常有趣的项目。

17.jpg

She's a little busy at present, can I get her to call you back?

她现在有点忙,我能让她给你回电话吗?
It's quite formal but “at present”means at this time.
它很正式,但是“at present”的意思是这个时候。
I finish the course at the end of April.
我在四月底(at the end of April)完成了课程。
So “at the end of”
所以“at the end of”
or “at the start of”
或“at the start of”
a period of time is also a common way to refer to a specific point in time.
一段时间也是指特定时间点的常用方式。
Note that if you say something happened in the middle of a period of time, you need to use the preposition “in”.
注意,如果你说某事发生在一段时间的中间,你需要使用介词in。
But I'll talk more about that in a moment.
我一会儿会详细讲这个。
We arrived at the same time.
我们同时到达。
So we use “at the same time”
所以我们用" at the same time "
to say that two separate actions happened simultaneously - at one time.
来表示两个独立的动作同时发生——在同一时间。
Okay let's talk about the preposition “in”.
好的,我们来谈谈介词in。
“In”is used for periods of time, so seasons or months or even longer periods of time like centuries or decades or years.
“In” 用来表示一段时间,比如季节、月份甚至更长的时间,比如几个世纪、几十年或几年。
I was born in 1986.
我出生于1986年。
He'll visit them in October.
他将在十月份访问他们。
The ski resort is closed in summer.
滑雪场在夏天关闭。
He grew up in the seventies.
他在七十年代长大。
That's the period of time between 1970 and 1980.
那是1970年到1980年之间的一段时间。
It happened in the 16th century.
它发生在16世纪。
Don't worry, it all happened in the past.
别担心,这都是过去的事了。
Just as we use “in”for periods of time we also use it for periods of time during the day when we're not being specific.
就像我们在一段时间内使用in一样,我们也会在一天中不明确的时间内使用in。
So...They're leaving in the evening.
所以…他们晚上离开。
The baby sleeps in the afternoon.
婴儿在下午睡觉。
I work most productively in the morning.
我早上工作效率最高。
But compare this to I start work at 9am.
但相比之下,我早上9点就开始工作了。
So there's specific time and there's kind of general time.
所以有特定的时间和一般的时间。
We can also use “in”to describe the amount of time needed to do something.
我们也可以用in来描述做某事需要的时间。
So again, we're talking about a period of time.
再说一次,我们讨论的是一段时间。
A period of time.
一段时间。
They managed to complete the job in two weeks.
他们设法在两周内完成了这项工作。
You can drive around the island in a day.
你可以在一天之内开车环岛一周。
We can also use “in”to explain when something will happen in the future.
我们也可以用in来解释将来什么时候会发生。
I'll be ready in five minutes.
我五分钟后就准备好。
He's gone away but he'll be back in a couple of days.
他走了,但几天后会回来。
You can collect your parcel in a week.
你可以在一周内取包裹。
Now remember I told you earlier that if you're using the expression at the end of or at the start of something you need to use the preposition “at”.
还记得我之前告诉过你们的吗?如果你要在某事物的结尾或者开头使用这个表达,你需要使用介词at。
At the start of July.
七月初。
Return it to me at the end of the day.
今天结束时还给我。
But, if you're referring to the middle of a period of time your preposition needs to be “in”
但是,如果你指的是一段时间的中间你的介词需要是in
“in the middle”
在中间用“in the middle”
In the middle of June.
在六月中旬。
Or it's too hot to go out in the middle of the day.
或者中午出去太热了。
Okay, here's another really common fixed expression.
这是另一个常见的固定表达式。
“In time”
及时“In time”
You'll hear it all the time!
你会经常听到的!
We made it in time.
我们及时赶到了。
Luckily, we arrived just in time.
幸运的是,我们及时赶到了。
This means that you weren't late or you arrived just before the event started.
这意味着你没有迟到,或者你刚好在活动开始前到达。
Don't confuse this with “on time”
不要混淆“in time”和“on time”
which is another fixed expression
这是另一个固定表达。
Please arrive on time.
请准时到达。
This means at the starting time, not later.
这意味着在开始的时候,而不是之后。
If you're told to arrive on time, don't be late!
如果你被告知要准时到达,就不要迟到!
The teacher told them to arrive on time.
老师告诉他们要准时到达。
And even though they slept in, they arrived just in time!
尽管他们睡过头了,但他们还是及时赶到了。
Now let's explore more about this preposition now.
现在让我们进一步探讨这个介词。
“On”In English we can use this preposition for specific descriptions of time.
在英语中,我们可以用这个介词来表示对时间的具体描述。
Most commonly with days of the week and parts of days of the week.
最常见的是星期几和星期几的一部分。
She's working on Monday.
她星期一上班。
That's a specific and a unique time.
那是一个特殊的时代。
She usually works on Mondays.
她通常星期一上班。
By using the plural form there, I'm suggesting that this is a regular event.
通过使用复数形式,我认为这是一个常规事件。
It happens every week.
它每周都发生。
We're going to the theatre on Wednesday evening.
我们打算星期三晚上去看戏。
Let's have a coffee on Friday morning.
我们星期五上午喝杯咖啡吧。
It's his birthday on Saturday.
星期六是他的生日。
So note that in spoken English “on”is often omitted in context like this.
所以请注意,在英语口语中,“on”在这样的语境中经常被省略。
She's working Monday.
她在周一工作。
So don't be confused if suddenly when someone says a sentence like this you can't hear the preposition.
所以,如果有人突然说了这样一个句子,你听不到介词,不要感到困惑。
In spoken English, it's often dropped.
在英语口语中,它经常被省略。
“On”is also used with dates.
On也可以和日期连用。
The interview is on the 29th of April.
面试时间是4月29日。
He was born on February 14th.
他出生于2月14日。
It's also used with special days.
它也用于特殊的日子。
She was born on Valentine's Day.
她是在情人节出生的。
We're moving house on Christmas Eve.
我们要在平安夜搬家。
I have an exam on my birthday.
我生日那天有考试。
But here's another little exception that you need to keep in mind.
但是这里有一个小的例外,你需要记住。
When you're talking about festivals and about special periods of time, you can use “at”.
当你谈论节日和特殊时期的时候,你可以用at。
So, are you going home at Christmas?
那么,你圣诞节回家吗?
So that's talking about the time around Christmas.
这就是圣诞节前后的时间。
If you're referring to the specific day, you need to use “on”.
如果你指的是具体的一天,你需要用“on”。
On Christmas Day.
在圣诞节那天。
On New Year's Eve.
在新年前夕。
What are you doing on New Year's Day?
你在元旦那天做什么?
What are you doing at New Year's?
你在新年做什么?
Now this question is more general, you're referring to the period of time around this holiday
现在这个问题更加普遍,你指的是假期前后的那段时间
usually there is a few days where everyone's not working and they're relaxing and hanging out
通常会有几天大家都不工作,而是放松和闲逛
so “on Year's Day”means specifically that day but if you say “at New Year's”
所以" on Year's Day "指的就是那一天但是如果你说" at New Year's "
you just mean the time around that day.
你指的是那天的时间。
Another fixed expression that can be a little bit confusing is “at or on the weekend”.
另一个让人有点困惑的固定表达是“at或on the weekend”。
What are you doing on the weekend?
你周末打算干什么?
is more common in American English and What are you doing at the weekend?
在美式英语中更常见,你周末做什么?
is more common in British English.
在英式英语中更为常见。
But either way, you'll be understood.
但不管怎样,你都会被理解的。
Both of them mean the same thing.
它们的意思是一样的。
But it's good to know that there are two different ways to express this.
但是很高兴知道有两种不同的方式来表达它。
And lastly, “by”
最后一个词是“by”
Our last little preposition is very useful to give information about time.
我们最后一个小小的介词是非常有用的,它可以提供关于时间的信息。
You can use “by”with the end time of an activity.
你可以用“by”来表示一个活动的结束时间。
The show should be finished by 9pm.
演出应该在晚上9点前结束。
It means no later than.
它的意思是不迟于。
So when it's used with a specific time, it can mean on or before that time.
所以当它和一个特定的时间一起使用时,它可以表示在那个时间之前或之前。
Please return these books by Friday.
请在星期五之前把这些书还回来。
That means no later than Friday.
也就是说不迟于星期五。
So let's recap.
让我们回顾一下。
Let's go over everything that we learnt in this lesson because it was a lot to take in!
让我们复习一下这节课所学的所有东西,因为有很多东西要学!
“At”is generally used in reference to specific times on the clock or specific points of time in the day.
“At”通常用于指时钟上的特定时间或一天中的特定时间点。
“In”generally refers to longer periods of time.
In一般指较长的时间。
“On”is used with dates or named days.
“On”用于日期或指定日期。
And “by”is used with times and named days but specifically telling us an end time.
“by”用于表示时间和指定的日期,但具体指的是结束时间。
Well that's it for this lesson!
这节课就讲到这里!
I hope that it's been good revision for you to remind yourself about the correct way to use these really common English prepositions that give more information about time.
我希望这是一次很好的复习,能提醒你正确使用这些非常常见的英语介词,它们能提供更多关于时间的信息。
Now if you've got any questions at all, put them in the comments below and I will try to answer them as soon as I can.
如果你有任何问题,请在下方留言,我会尽快回答你的问题。
If you really love the mmmEnglish Channel and you enjoy my lessons, then please make sure you subscribe just here or here.
如果你真的喜欢mmmEnglish频道,并且喜欢我的课程,那么请订阅这里或这里。
And check out some of the other lessons that I've prepared.
看看我准备的其他课程。
This playlist here is full of grammar videos and this one here will help you to practice your speaking skills.
这个播放列表里有很多语法视频,这个可以帮助你练习口语。
Thanks for watching and I will see you in the next lesson.
谢谢收看,下节课再见。
Bye for now!
再见!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
kitchen ['kitʃin]

想一想再看

n. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
phrase [freiz]

想一想再看

n. 短语,习语,个人风格,乐句
vt. 措词

联想记忆
revision [ri'viʒin]

想一想再看

n. 校订,修正,修订本,复习

联想记忆
exception [ik'sepʃən]

想一想再看

n. 除外,例外,[律]异议,反对

 
context ['kɔntekst]

想一想再看

n. 上下文,环境,背景

联想记忆
interview ['intəvju:]

想一想再看

n. 接见,会见,面试,面谈
vt. 接见,采

 
resort [ri'zɔ:t]

想一想再看

n. (度假)胜地,手段,凭借
vi. 诉诸,

联想记忆
preposition [.prepə'ziʃən]

想一想再看

n. 介词

联想记忆
confuse [kən'fju:z]

想一想再看

vt. 混淆,使困惑,使混乱

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。