Jingjing: Mark, are you all set for the Spring Festival?
京晶:马克,一切就绪准备好过春节了吗?
Mark: Ready as I'm going to be. My wife planned a trip for me with her family. I finished work the day before esterday.
马克:准备好了。我太太为我和她的家人策划了一次旅行。我前天已经完成了自己的工作。
Jingjing: You've got it easier than me. I still have a few more days at the office.
京晶:那你这情况比我简单多了。我还得在办公室忙上几天。
Mark: Is it a mad house?
马克:那是一片(节前)忙乱吗?
Jingjing: Not really. I was expecting people to come at me with a lot of odds and ends. But that really hasn't happened. I've even had time to get started on my reading goals for 2020.
京晶:那到没有。我之前以为会有好多杂事来找我解决。实际上还真没有。我甚至还有时间开始执行我的2020年阅读目标。
Mark: Yeah, I know you told me you plan to read a lot more this year. Hey, it's the Year of the Rat, isn't it?
马克:对啊,我记得你告诉过我今年你打算读更多的书。嘿,今年是鼠年,不是吗?
Jingjing: It will be after the “Beginning of Spring”
京晶:得过了立春才是鼠年。
Mark: That's what I meant. Jingjing, what can you tell me about the rat zodiac sign?
马克:我就是那个意思。京晶,关于鼠年生肖,你有什么可以告诉我的?
Jingjing: Well, first of all, the Rat Year is a good year for careful planning. Things go well if they are planned well. Otherwise, they might go worse than usual.
京晶:首先,鼠年是一个适合精心规划的好年头。如果计划得当,事情就会进展顺利。否则,情况可能会比平时更糟。
Mark: What does that have to do with rats?
马克:这和老鼠有什么关系呢?
Jingjing: Well, rats are industrious and and alert. So, if you pay attention to your plans and all the details, you'll probably be quite successful in what you do.
京晶:嗯,老鼠是勤勉和机警的。所以,如果你重视你的计划和所有的细节,可能会让你所做之事大获成功。
Mark: I wasn't born in a Rat year, though. Does that still affect me?
马克:不过,我不是在鼠年出生的。那对我有影响吗?
Jingjing: It sure does. You mentioned a trip. That's a good thing to plan carefully, in addition to projects at work.
京晶:当然有。你提到过旅行。除了工作项目之外,这就是一个很好的需要仔细做好计划的事。
Mark: Hmm. I'd better start thinking about that. I usually fly by the seat of my pants whenever I travel; but that probably isn't a good idea when travelling with family members.
马克:嗯。我最好马上开始考虑起来。我每次旅行都是跟着感觉走,但和家人一起出去旅行,这可不是一个好主意。
Jingjing: Think about a rat's personality. It stores a lot of food for winter. It knows its surroundings very well.
京晶:想想老鼠的个性。它为过冬储存大量食物。并对周围环境了然于胸。
Mark: Those are good things to keep in mind.
马克:这些都是很好的需要谨记在心的。
Jingjing: I'll tell you more next time I see you.
京晶:下次见面我再告诉你一些。
a mad house 喧闹之地 极为忙碌吵闹的场所
a busy and chaotic place (often a workplace with lots of people)
odds and ends 零碎;琐碎的东西
small things that are not very necessary (here it refers to small tasks and requests from colleagues)
fly by the seat of
do something without planning or foresight
Jingjing: Hi again, Mark. Are you ready to talk more about the Year of the Rat?
京晶:嗨,马克。准备好多谈谈鼠年了吗?
Mark: Yeah, I just looked up a list of names: famous people born in Rat years.
马克:是的,我刚查找了一份名单:鼠年出生的名人。
Jingjing: Oh yeah. I know Jude Law, one of my favorite actors, was born in a Rat year.
京晶:噢,是的。我知道裘德·洛,我最喜欢的演员之一,他就出生在鼠年。
Mark: Yeah, so was Hugh Grant, as well as a couple politicians. Can you guess which ones?
马克:是的,休·格兰特也是,还有一些政治家。你能猜出是哪些吗?
Jingjing: George Washington and John F Kennedy?
京晶:有乔治·华盛顿和约翰·肯尼迪吗?
Mark: You must have seen that list already!
马克:你肯定已经看过那份名单了!
Jingjing: I just looked at it a few minutes ago. Do you remember which business leaders were on there?
京晶:我几分钟前刚看的。你还记得在名单上还有哪些商界领袖吗?
Mark: Yeah, Tim Cook and Mark Zuckerberg.
马克:记得,蒂姆·库克和马克·扎克伯格。
Jingjing: Typically, someone born in a Rat year doesn't rise to be a leader.
京晶:一般来说,鼠年出生的人不会成长为领导者。
Mark: How come?
马克:怎么说?
Jingjing: Well, even though Rats are well-organized and hard-working, they sometimes lack the courage to stand up to people.
京晶:嗯,尽管老鼠很有条理,工作努力,但有时它们还是缺乏勇敢面对人群的勇气。
Mark: So, they tend to be better managers than leaders, right?
马克:因此,他们往往是好的管理者而不是领导者,对吗?
Jingjing: Yes. They have good relationship skills and stick to a small group of close friends. Some Rats are tactful and diplomatic, while others speak a bit too frankly.
京晶:是的。他们有良好的人际关系技巧,和亲近的朋友小团体保持密切关系。有些老鼠圆滑得体老练,而另一些说话时则有点过于坦率.
Mark: That rings a bell. I know a few people who are Rats. That's a pretty fitting description.
马克:这提醒我了。我认识一些属鼠的人。这是一个非常贴切的描述。
Jingjing: Well, they get along with almost anyone. No wonder they're your friends.
京晶:嗯,他们几乎和任何人都处得来。难怪他们是你的朋友。
Mark: Ha ha. Live and let live.
马克:哈哈。宽容待人,和平共处嘛。
New words : 习语短语
stand up to
confront someone
ring a bell 使某人想起某事,使人回忆起
remind someone of something, sound familiar
Live and let live. 待人宽容;和平共存(自己活也让别人活)
(a saying) be tolerant of others, live peacefully among people who are different from you