"Do you mean to say," he asked, "that you are completely isolated from every connection?"
“你的意思是说,”他问,“你孤孤单单,没有一个亲朋?”
"I do. Not a tie links me to any living thing: not a claim do I possess to admittance under any roof in England."
“是的。没有一根纽带把我同哪位活着的人维系在一起,我也没有任何权利走进英国的任何人家里?”
"A most singular position at your age!"
“像你这样年纪,这种状况是绝无仅有的。”
Here I saw his glance directed to my hands, which were folded on the table before me.
说到这里我看到他的目光扫到了我手上,这时我双乎交叉,放在面前的桌子上。
I wondered what he sought there: his words soon explained the quest.
我不知道他在找什么。但他的话立刻解释了那种探寻。
"You have never been married? You are a spinster?"
“你没有结婚?是个单身女人?”
Diana laughed. "Why, she can't he above seventeen or eighteen years old, St. John," said she.
黛安娜大笑起来。“嗨,她不会超过十七、十八岁,圣·约翰。”她说。
"I am near nineteen: but I am not married. No."
“我快十九了,不过没有结过婚,没有。”
I felt a burning glow mount to my face; for bitter and agitating recollections were awakened by the allusion to marriage.
我只觉得脸上一阵热辣辣的火烧,一提起结婚又勾起了我痛苦和兴奋的回忆。
They all saw the embarrassment and the emotion.
他们都看出了我的发窘和激动。
Diana and Mary relieved me by turning their eyes elsewhere than to my crimsoned visage;
黛安娜和玛丽把目光从我涨得通红的脸上转向别处,以便使我得到宽慰,
but the colder and sterner brother continued to gaze, till the trouble he had excited forced out tears as well as colour.
但是她们那位有些冷漠和严厉的哥哥却继续盯着我,直至他引起的麻烦弄得我既流泪又变脸。
"Where did you last reside?" he now asked.
你以前住在什么地方?”他此刻又问了。
"You are too inquisitive, St. John," murmured Mary in a low voice;
“你也太爱打听了,圣·约翰,”玛丽低声咕哝着。
but he leaned over the table and required an answer by a second firm and piercing look.
但他带着诱人肺腑的坚定的眼光,将身子俯过桌子,要求得到回答。