Diana offered to teach me German.
黛安娜愿意教我德语,
I liked to learn of her:
我喜欢跟她学。
I saw the part of instructress pleased and suited her;
我发觉教师的角色很适合她,使她高兴,
that of scholar pleased and suited me no less.
而同样学生的角色也适合我,使我高兴。
Our natures dovetailed: mutual affection -- of the strongest kind -- was the result.
我们的个性十分吻合,结果彼此之间感情深厚。
They discovered I could draw:
她们知道我能作画,
their pencils and colour-boxes were immediately at my service.
就立刻把铅笔和颜料盒供我使用。
My skill, greater in this one point than theirs, surprised and charmed them.
这项唯一胜过她们的技能,使她们感到惊奇,也让她们着了迷。
Mary would sit and watch me by the hour together:
我绘画时玛丽会坐着看我作画,
then she would take lessons; and a docile, intelligent, assiduous pupil she made.
随后也学了起来,而且是位聪明、听话、用功的学生。
Thus occupied, and mutually entertained, days passed like hours, and weeks like days.
就这样忙这忙那,彼此都得到了乐趣,一周的日子像一天,一天的时间像一小时那么过去了。
As to Mr. St John, the intimacy which had arisen so naturally and rapidly between me and his sisters did not extend to him.
至于圣·约翰先生,我与他妹妹之间自然而迅速形成的亲密无间的感情,与他无缘。
One reason of the distance yet observed between us was,
我们之间显得疏远的一个原因,
that he was comparatively seldom at home:
是他难得在家,
a large proportion of his time appeared devoted to visiting the sick and poor among the scattered population of his parish.
一大部份时间都奔忙于他教区分散的居民之间,走访病人和穷人。
No weather seemed to hinder him in these pastoral excursions:
任何天气似乎都阻挡不住牧师的短途行程。
rain or fair, he would, when his hours of morning study were over,
不管晴天还是雨天,每天早晨的学习时间一结束,
take his hat, and, followed by his father's old pointer, Carlo, go out on his mission of love or duty --
他会戴上帽子,带着他父亲的老猎狗卡罗,出门开始了出于爱好或是职责的使命
I scarcely know in which light he regarded it.
我几乎不知道他怎样看待它。