"Oh, no; since it is in employment which depends only on me to give, and you to accept."
“呵,不会。既然这项工作只决定于我来提供,你来接受。”
He again paused: there seemed a reluctance to continue.
他又不吱声了,仿佛不愿再继续说下去。
I grew impatient: a restless movement or two,
我有些耐不住了,——两个不安的动作
and an eager and exacting glance fastened on his face,
以及一个急切而严厉的眼神落在他脸上,
conveyed the feeling to him as effectually as words could have done, and with less trouble.
向他表达了同语言一样有效,但省却了不少麻烦的情感。
"You need be in no hurry to hear," he said:
“你不必急于听到,”他说,
"let me frankly tell you, I have nothing eligible or profitable to suggest.
“坦率告诉你吧,我没有什么合适的或是挣钱的工作可以建议。
Before I explain, recall, if you please, my notice, clearly given,
我解释之前,请回忆一下,我明明白白地向你打过招呼,
that if I helped you, it must be as the blind man would help the lame.
要是我帮你,那得是瞎子帮助跛子。
I am poor; for I find that, when I have paid my father's debts,
我很穷,因为我发现偿付了父亲的债务后,
all the patrimony remaining to me will be this crumbling grange,
父亲留给我的全部遗产就只有这个摇摇欲坠的田庄,
the row of scathed firs behind, and the patch of moorish soil, with the yew-trees and holly-bushes in front.
庄后一排枯萎的杉树,一片前面长着紫杉和冬青灌木的荒土。
I am obscure: Rivers is an old name;
我出身卑微,里弗斯是个古老的名字。
but of the three sole descendants of the race,
但这个族的三个仅存的后裔,
two earn the dependant's crust among strangers,
两个在陌生人中间依赖他人为生,
and the third considers himself an alien from his native country -- not only for life, but in death.
第三个认为自己是远离故土的异乡人——活着和死了都是如此。
Yes, and deems, and is bound to deem, himself honoured by the lot,
是的,他认为,必然认为这样的命运是他的光荣,
and aspires but after the day when the cross of separation from fleshly ties shall be laid on his shoulders,
他盼望有朝一日摆脱尘世束缚的十字架会放在他肩上,
and when the Head of that church-militant of whose humblest members he is one,
那位自己也是最卑微一员的教会斗士的首领
shall give the word, 'Rise, follow Me!'"
会传下号令:起来,跟着我?”