They call me the seahorse whisperer. I do 221 dives a year.
他们叫我“海马的知心朋友”。我每年潜水221次。
All right. If you went with me, you and I would be the only two people out of 50 million that would see one. That's how rare it is.
嗯。如果你和我一起下去的话,5000万人中可能只有咱们俩人会干这事。可见这事没几个人做。
Ever since I was a kid living in Iowa, I always dreamt about the ocean.
我小时候住在艾奥瓦州时总是能梦见大海。
I am not trained as a scientist but I've always had an interest.
我没有成为科学家,但我一直对这件事感兴趣。
My name is Roger Hanson. I have probably spent more time with the seahorse, hippocampus ingens than anyone else in the world.
我叫罗杰·汉森。我可能是世界上和海马、太平洋海马待的时间最长的人。
I saw my first seahorse here in Southern California in Alamitos Bay, January 30th 2016.
2016年1月30日,我第一次在南加州的阿拉米托斯湾见到海马。
I was absolutely stunned. I did recognize how uniquely different the creature was.
我惊呆了,我意识到这种生物十分与众不同。
I was afraid they would leave. I knew how rare they were then, so I went down that night and built my first biomodel sticks, palm fronds and pine branches.
我害怕它们会离开。那时我知道,它们是非常稀有的,所以我那天晚上第一次弄了生物模型棒、棕榈叶和松枝。
They named it Atlantis, and they loved the sticks. They wrapped their little tails around them.
它们叫它亚特兰蒂斯,而且它们很喜欢那些棒。它们把小尾巴缠绕在棒上。
So I think I just guessed what they might like, so I built two more biomes sister communities.
所以我觉得我猜到了它们可能喜欢的东西,我就又弄了2个生物群落。
One I called Vegas and the other one I called the Bellagio.
我把它们命名为“维加斯”和“百乐宫”。
After a while by the numbers I was seeing, they had set up a colony.
过了一会儿,我看到它们的数量才得知,它们建立了一个栖息地。
And guess what. If you build it, they will come.
猜猜发生了什么。你建立一个,它们就会过来。
It's captured interests, not just in California but worldwide.
它不光吸引了加州、而且吸引了全世界海马的注意力。
To have them up this far up the coast is absolutely totally rare.
它们都聚集到海岸的情景十分罕见。
I started to learn things about measurement and taking good data.
我开始学习测量和记录数据。
I've kept track for four years of all movements, all seahorses.
我把所有海马的行为记录了4年。
I have four notebooks, each for each year of the study, and in them I take information like tide,
我有4本笔记,每年记录1本。我在上面记录了各种信息,包括潮汐、
water temperature, UV rays, what phase we are in the moon because all these things affect the seahorses.
水温、紫外线和月相,因为所有这些都对海马造成了影响。
To my knowledge I am the only one in the world that are tracking this particular species this way.
据我所知,我是全球唯一一个以这种方式追踪该物种的人。
I do not get paid. I Drive probably a thousand five hundred miles a month and why do I do it?
我不会得到报酬。我每个月可能都会开车1500英里,我为什么要做这件事呢?
Two reasons. One for science, secondly I guess it's like those wild kitties that you feed that are in your neighborhood.
有2个原因,首先是为了科学,其次是因为你喂养的这些小动物就生活在你周围。
I really liked them and we developed a relationship. They liked me too.
我真的很喜欢它们,我们建立了良好的关系。它们也喜欢我。
I started to learn about them and realize what a superior species.
我开始了解它们,并意识到它们是一种高级的物种。
There's never a fighting. Never.
它们从不打架,从不。
It's just gentle beauty and when you live with gentle beauty for long enough, it starts to affect you,
它们的美十分柔和,当你与这种柔和美接触久了,你就会受到它的影响,
a great deal to the point where I started saying "Roger, why can't you be nicer to people like these little creatures are nice to each other?"
以至于我开始对自己说:“罗杰,你为什么不能对别人好点呢?就像这些小生命一样。”
That's really what happened.
真的就是这样。
I consider myself a part of the herd, a little bit bigger, a lot older, but yes friends.
我觉得自己是它们中的一员,只是体型大一点、年龄长一点,但我们是朋友。