But courage! I will not pause either to accuse or repine.
不过拿出勇气来!我不会停下来控诉或者发牢骚。
I know poetry is not dead, nor genius lost; nor has Mammon gained power over either, to bind or slay:
我知道诗歌并没有死亡,天才并未销声匿迹,财神爷也没有把两者征服,把他们捆绑起来或者杀掉,
they will both assert their existence, their presence, their liberty and strength again one day.
总有一天两者都会表明自己的存在、风采、自由和力量。
Powerful angels, safe in heaven! they smile when sordid souls triumph, and feeble ones weep over their destruction.
强大的天使,稳坐天堂吧!当肮脏的灵魂获得胜利,弱者为自己的毁灭恸哭时,他们微笑着。
Poetry destroyed? Genius banished?
诗歌被毁灭了吗?天才遭到了驱逐吗?
No! Mediocrity, no: do not let envy prompt you to the thought.
没有!中不溜儿的人们,不,别让嫉妒激起你这种想法。
No; they not only live, but reign and redeem:
不,他们不仅还活着,而且统治着,拯救着。
and without their divine influence spread everywhere, you would be in hell -- the hell of your own meanness.
没有它们无处不在的神圣影响,你会进地狱——你自己的卑微所造成的地狱。
While I was eagerly glancing at the bright pages of "Marmion" (for "Marmion" it was), St. John stooped to examine my drawing.
我急不可耐地浏览着《玛米昂》辉煌的篇章(因为《玛米昂》确实如此)时,圣·约翰俯身细看起我的画来。
His tall figure sprang erect again with a start: he said nothing.
他蓦地惊跳起来,拉直了高高的身子。他什么也没有说,
I looked up at him: he shunned my eye.
我抬头看他,他避开了我的目光,
I knew his thoughts well, and could read his heart plainly; at the moment I felt calmer and cooler than he:
我很明白他的想法,能直截了当地看出他的心思来。这时候我觉得比他镇定和冷静。
I had then temporarily the advantage of him, and I conceived an inclination to do him some good, if I could.
随后我暂时占了优势,产生了在可能情况下帮他做些好事的想法。
"With all his firmness and self-control," thought I,
“他那么坚定不移和一味自我控制,”我想,
"he tasks himself too far: locks every feeling and pang within -- expresses, confesses, imparts nothing.
“实在太苛刻自己了。他把每种情感和痛苦都锁在内心——什么也不表白,不流露,不告诉。
I am sure it would benefit him to talk a little about this sweet Rosamond, whom he thinks he ought not to marry: I will make him talk."
我深信,谈一点他认为不应当娶的可爱的罗莎蒙德,会对他有好处。我要使他开口。”