"Had I done these pictures? Did I know French and German?
“是你画的吗?你懂法文和德文?
What a love -- what a miracle I was!
你真可爱—一真是个奇迹!
I drew better than her master in the first school in S----.
你比S城第一所学校的教师还画得好。
Would I sketch a portrait of her, to show to papa?"
你愿意为我画一张让我爸爸看看吗?”
"With pleasure," I replied;
“很乐意,”我回答。
and I felt a thrill of artist -- delight at the idea of copying from so perfect and radiant a model.
一想到要照着这样一个如此完美、如此容光焕发的模特儿画,我便感到了艺术家喜悦的颤栗。
She had then on a dark-blue silk dress; her arms and her neck were bare;
那时她穿了深蓝色的丝绸衣服;裸露着胳膊和脖子,
her only ornament was her chestnut tresses, which waved over her shoulders with all the wild grace of natural curls.
唯一的装饰是她栗色的头发,以一种天然卷曲所有的不加修饰的雅致,波浪似地从肩上披下来。
I took a sheet of fine card-board, and drew a careful outline.
我拿了一张精致的卡纸,仔细地画了轮廓,
I promised myself the pleasure of colouring it;
并打算享受将它上彩的乐趣。
and, as it was getting late then, I told her she must come and sit another day.
由于当时天色已晚,我告诉她得改天再坐下来让我画了。
She made such a report of me to her father, that Mr. Oliver himself accompanied her next evening --
她把我的情况向她父亲作了详尽的报告,结果第二天晚上奥利弗先生居然亲自陪着她来了。
a tall, massive-featured, middle-aged, and grey-headed man,
他高个子,五官粗大,中等年纪,头发灰白。
at whose side his lovely daughter looked like a bright flower near a hoary turret.
身边那位可爱的的女儿看上去象一座古塔旁的一朵鲜花。
He appeared a taciturn, and perhaps a proud personage;
他似乎是个沉默寡言,或许还很自负的人,
but he was very kind to me.
但对我很客气。
The sketch of Rosamond's portrait pleased him highly: he said I must make a finished picture of it.
罗莎蒙德的那张速写画很使他高兴。他嘱我千万要把它完成,
He insisted, too, on my coming the next day to spend the evening at Vale Hall.
还坚持要我第二天去溪谷庄度过一个夜晚。