Teeth Be with You. My father was a lifelong pastor.
牙齿与你同在。我父亲做了一辈子的牧师。
One Sunday morning, as he was making his emphatic closing remarks, his false teeth flew out.
一个礼拜日早上,他在做强有力的结束语时,假牙掉了。
In one swift move, he swept his hand across the top of the pulpit, snagged them out of the air, and put them back in his mouth.
他飞快地用手扫了一下讲道台的顶端,把它们抓了起来,放回嘴里。
The sound of clapping and heavy laughter filled the room.
房间中充满了鼓掌的声音和响亮的笑声。
Dad put his head down on the pulpit and laughed until tears came.
父亲把头低到讲道台上,笑的眼泪都流出来了。
When he recovered, he raised his head and said, "Dismissed." The congregation left, still laughing.
平静后,他抬起头说,“解散”。会众离开时笑声还没停下来。
Dad said later, "It's nice to know the people were paying attention."
后来父亲说,“知道人们在专心听讲,这很棒。”
Father Knows Best. My husband and I took our two boys fishing.
父亲什么都知道。我和丈夫带着两个儿子去钓鱼。
My father was against it, claiming the boys were too young and hooks were dangerous.
我父亲是反对这件事的,他说孩子还太小,钩子很危险。
I told him he was being ridiculous and assured him that we would be careful.
我说他这个想法很可笑,并且向他保证我们会小心的。
At the lake, our oldest son cast his line and hooked his little brother in the forehead, with the worm dangling across his nose.
在湖边,我们的大儿子抛下鱼线,钩住了弟弟的额头,虫子挂在了他的鼻子上。
"See, Mom?" he cried as we carefully removed the hook.
我们小心地移走钩子时,他哭着说,“看到了吗,妈妈?”
"You should always listen to your parents."
“你应该经常听老人的话。”
I'd Like to Buy a Vowel. I work in a small community hospital and often draw blood samples from inpatients.
我得找一个救兵。我在一个小社区医院工作,经常给住院病人抽血样。
One evening, while I was preparing to take blood from an elderly patient, she stated, "I can feel it in my bones."
一天晚上,在我准备给一个年长的病人抽血时,她说,“我可以感到它就在我的骨头里。”
Perplexed, I replied, "But I haven't even stuck you yet." She said no and motioned to the television.
我困惑得回应道,“但是我还没有扎你呢。”她说不是,然后就指向电视。
She was simply solving a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune!
她只是在思考《幸运之轮》节目的一个谜题!