CHAPTER XXXIII
第三十三章
WHEN Mr. St. John went, it was beginning to snow; the whirling storm continued all night.
圣·约翰先生走掉后,天开始下雪了。暴风雷刮了整整一夜。
The next day a keen wind brought fresh and blinding falls; by twilight the valley was drifted up and almost impassable.
第二天刺骨的风又带来茫茫大雪,到了黄昏,雪积山谷,道路几乎不通。
I had closed my shutter, laid a mat to the door to prevent the snow from blowing in under it,
我关了窗,把一个垫子挂在门上,免得雪从门底下吹进来,
trimmed my fire, and after sitting nearly an hour on the hearth listening to the muffled fury of the tempest,
整了整火,在炉边坐了近一个小时,倾听着暴风雪低沉的怒吼,
I lit a candle, took down "Marmion," and beginning --
我点了根蜡烛,取来了《玛米昂》,开始读了起来——
"Day set on Norham's castled steep,
残阳照着诺汉那城堡峭立的陡壁,
And Tweed's fair river broad and deep,
美丽的特威德河又宽又深,
And Cheviot's mountains lone;
契维奥特山孑然独立;
The massive towers, the donjon keep,
气势雄伟的塔楼和城堡的主垒,
The flanking walls that round them sweep,
两侧那绵延不绝的围墙,
In yellow lustre shone" --
都在落日余辉中闪动着金光。
I soon forgot storm in music.
我立刻沉浸在音乐之中,忘掉了暴风雪。
I heard a noise: the wind, I thought, shook the door.
我听见了一声响动,心想一定是风摇动着门的声音。
No; it was St. John Rivers, who, lifting the latch, came in out of the frozen hurricane -- the howling darkness -- and stood before me:
不,是圣·约翰·里弗斯先生,从天寒地冻的暴风雪中,从怒吼着的黑暗中走出来,拉开门栓,站有我面前。
the cloak that covered his tall figure all white as a glacier.
遮盖着他高高身躯的斗篷,像冰川一样一片雪白,
I was almost in consternation, so little had I expected any guest from the blocked-up vale that night.
我几乎有些惊慌了,在这样的夜晚我不曾料到会有穿过积雪封冻的山谷,前来造访的客人。
"Any ill news?" I demanded. "Has anything happened?"
“有什么坏消息吧?”我问。“出了什么事吗?”
"No. How very easily alarmed you are?"
“没有,你那么容易受惊!”
he answered, removing his cloak and hanging it up against the door,
他回答,一边脱下斗篷,挂在门上。
towards which he again coolly pushed the mat which his entrance had deranged.
他冷冷地推了推进来时被他弄歪了的垫子,
He stamped the snow from his boots.
跺了跺脚,把靴子上的雪抖掉。