"I shall sully the purity of your floor," said he, "but you must excuse me for once."
“我会把你干净的地板弄脏的,”他说,“不过你得原谅我一回。”
Then he approached the fire.
随后他走近火炉。
"I have had hard work to get here, I assure you," he observed, as he warmed his hands over the flame.
“说真的,我好不容易到了这儿,”他一面在火焰上烘着手,一面说,
"One drift took me up to the waist; happily the snow is quite soft yet."
“有一堆积雪让我陷到了腰部、幸亏雪很软。”
"But why are you come?" I could not forbear saying.
“可是你干嘛要来呢,”我忍不住说。
"Rather an inhospitable question to put to a visitor;
“这么问客人是不大客气的。
but since you ask it, I answer simply to have a little talk with you;
不过既然你问了,我就回答,纯粹是想要同你聊一会儿。
I got tired of my mute books and empty rooms.
不会出声的书,空空荡荡的房间,我都厌倦了。
Besides, since yesterday I have experienced the excitement of a person to whom a tale has been half-told, and who is impatient to hear the sequel."
此外,从昨天起我便有些激动不安,像是一个人听了半截故事,急不可耐地要听下去一样。”
He sat down.
他坐了下来。
I recalled his singular conduct of yesterday, and really I began to fear his wits were touched.
我回想起他昨天奇怪的举动,真的开始担心他的理智受到了影响。
If he were insane, however, his was a very cool and collected insanity:
然而要是他神经错乱了,那他的错乱还是比较冷静和镇定的。
I had never seen that handsome-featured face of his look more like chiselled marble than it did just now,
我从来没有看到过他那漂亮的脸容,像现在这样酷似大理石雕像了。
as he put aside his snow-wet hair from his forehead and let the firelight shine free on his pale brow and cheek as pale,
当他把被雪弄湿的头发从额头撸到旁边,让火光任意照在苍白的额角和脸颊上时,
where it grieved me to discover the hollow trace of care or sorrow now so plainly graved.
我悲哀地发现这张脸上清晰地刻下了辛劳和忧伤的凹陷痕迹。
I waited, expecting he would say something I could at least comprehend;
我等待着,盼着他会说一些我至少能够理解的事,
but his hand was now at his chin, his finger on his lip: he was thinking.
但这会儿他的手托着下巴,手指放在嘴唇上,他在沉思默想。
It struck me that his hand looked wasted like his face.
我的印象是,他的手跟他的脸一样消瘦。
A perhaps uncalled-for gush of pity came over my heart: I was moved to say: --
我心里涌起了—阵也许是不必要的怜悯之情,感动得说话了:
"I wish Diana or Mary would come and live with you:
“但愿黛安娜或玛丽会来跟你住在一起,
it is too bad that you should be quite alone; and you are recklessly rash about your own health."
你那么孤零零一个人,实在太糟糕了,而你对自己的健康又那么草率。”
"Not at all," said he: "I care for myself when necessary.
“—点也没有,”他说,“必要时我会照顾自己的,
I am well now. What do you see amiss in me?"
我现在很好,你看见我什么地方不好啦?”