"Then we had a talk as to what we should do, and Frank was all for openness,
"接着我们就商量该怎么办,弗兰克主张完全公开,
but I was so ashamed of it all that I felt as if I should like to vanish away and never see any of them again
但是我对这一切感到非常的惭愧,我但愿从此销声匿迹,永远不再见到他们之中的任何一个人,
just sending a line to pa, perhaps, to show him that I was alive.
也许,给爸爸写张条子,表明我尚在人间就是了。
It was awful to me to think of all those lords and ladies sitting round that breakfast-table and waiting for me to come back.
我一想起那些爵士们、夫人们正围坐在早餐桌旁等我回去,心里就忐忑不安。
So Frank took my wedding-clothes and things and made a bundle of them, so that I should not be traced,
于是,弗兰克为了使别人找不到我,就把我的结婚礼服和其它东西收拾起来捆成一包,
and dropped them away somewhere where no one could find them.
扔到一个没有人找得到的地方。
It is likely that we should have gone on to Paris to-morrow,
本来我们明天就可能到巴黎去了,
only that this good gentleman, Mr. Holmes, came round to us this evening,
要不是这位好心的福尔摩斯先生今天晚上来找我们的话,
though how he found us is more than I can think,
虽然我想象不出他是怎样发现我们的地址的,
and he showed us very clearly and kindly that I was wrong and that Frank was right,
但是他善意和清楚地开导了我们,指出我是错了,弗兰克是对的,
and that we should be putting ourselves in the wrong if we were so secret.
而我们这样怕人家知道,那要犯很大的错误。
Then he offered to give us a chance of talking to Lord St. Simon alone,
然后,他提出给我们一个跟圣西蒙勋爵单独谈话的机会,
and so we came right away round to his rooms at once.
所以,我们就立即到这里来了。
Now, Robert, you have heard it all, and I am very sorry if I have given you pain,
好了,罗伯特,你现在什么都明白了吧,如果我使你感到痛苦,那我就太抱歉了,
and I hope that you do not think very meanly of me."
希望你不要把我想得太卑鄙。"