"A part of me you must become," he answered steadily;
“你必须成为我的一部分,”他沉着地回答,
"otherwise the whole bargain is void.
“不然整个事儿只是一句空话。
How can I, a man not yet thirty, take out with me to India a girl of nineteen, unless she be married to me?
除非你跟我结婚,要不我这样一个不到三十岁的男人怎么能带一个十九岁的站娘去印度呢?
How can we be for ever together -- sometimes in solitudes, sometimes amidst savage tribes -- and unwed?"
我们怎么能没有结婚却始终呆在一起呢——有时与外界隔绝,有时与野蛮种族相处?”
"Very well," I said shortly;
“很好,”我唐突地说,
"under the circumstances, quite as well as if I were either your real sister, or a man and a clergyman like yourself."
“既然这样,那还不如把我当成你的亲妹妹,或者像你一样一个男人,一个牧师。”
"It is known that you are not my sister;
“谁都知道你不是我的妹妹。
I cannot introduce you as such: to attempt it would be to fasten injurious suspicions on us both.
我不能那样把你介绍给别人,不然会给我们两人招来嫌疑和中伤。
And for the rest, though you have a man's vigorous brain, you have a woman's heart and -- it would not do."
至于其他,尽管你有着男子活跃的头脑,却有一颗女人的心——这就不行了。”
"It would do," I affirmed with some disdain,
“这行”,我有些不屑地肯定说,
"perfectly well.
“完全行。
I have a woman's heart, but not where you are concerned;
我有一颗女人的心,但这颗心与你说的无关。
for you I have only a comrade's constancy;a fellow-soldier's frankness, fidelity, fraternity, if you like;
对你,我只抱着同伴的坚贞,兄弟战士的坦率、忠诚和友情,
a neophyte's respect and submission to his hierophant: nothing more -- don't fear."
如果还有别的,那就是新教士对圣师的尊敬和服从。没有别的了——请放心。”
"It is what I want," he said, speaking to himself;
“这就是我所需要的,”他自言自语地说,
"it is just what I want. And there are obstacles in the way: they must be hewn down.
“我正需要这个。道路上障碍重重,必须一一排除。
Jane, you would not repent marrying me -- be certain of that; we must be married.
简,跟我结婚你不会后悔的。肯定是这样,我们一定得结婚,
I repeat it: there is no other way;
我再说一句,没有别的路可走了。
and undoubtedly enough of love would follow upon marriage to render the union right even in your eyes."
毫无疑问,结婚以后,爱情会随之而生,足以使这样的婚姻在你看来也是正确的。”