Very early the next morning I heard him up and astir, wandering from one room to another.
第二天一早,我听见他起来走动了,从一个房间摸到另一个房间。
As soon as Mary came down I heard the question:
玛丽一下楼,我就听见他问:
"Is Miss Eyre here?"
“爱小姐在这儿吗?”
Then: "Which room did you put her into?
接着又问:“你把她安排在哪一间?
Was it dry? Is she up?
里面干燥吗?她起来了吗?
Go and ask if she wants anything; and when she will come down."
去问问是不是需要什么,什么时候下来?”
I came down as soon as I thought there was a prospect of breakfast.
我一想到还有一顿早餐,便下楼去了。
Entering the room very softly, I had a view of him before he discovered my presence.
我轻手轻脚进了房间,他还没有发现我,我就已瞧见他了。
It was mournful, indeed, to witness the subjugation of that vigorous spirit to a corporeal infirmity.
说实在目睹那么生龙活虎的人沦为一个恹恹的弱者,真让人心酸。
He sat in his chair -- still, but not at rest: expectant evidently;
他坐在椅子上——虽然一动不动,却并不安分,显然在企盼着。
the lines of now habitual sadness marking his strong features.
如今,习惯性的愁容,己镌刻在他富有特色的脸庞上。
His countenance reminded one of a lamp quenched, waiting to be re-lit -- and alas!
他的面容令人想起一盏熄灭了的灯,等待着再度点亮——唉!
it was not himself that could now kindle the lustre of animated expression: he was dependent on another for that office!
现在他自己已无力恢复生气勃勃、光彩照人的表情了,不得不依赖他人来完成。
I had meant to be gay and careless, but the powerlessness of the strong man touched my heart to the quick:
我本想显得高高兴兴、无忧无虑,但是这个强者那么无能为力的样子,使我心碎了。
still I accosted him with what vivacity I could.
不过我还是尽可能轻松愉快地跟他打了招呼:
"It is a bright, sunny morning, sir," I said.
“是个明亮晴朗的早晨呢,先生,”我说。
"The rain is over and gone, and there is a tender shining after it: you shall have a walk soon."
“雨过天晴,你很快可以去走走了。”
I had wakened the glow: his features beamed.
我已唤醒了那道亮光,他顿时容光焕发了。
"Oh, you are indeed there, my skylark!
“呵,你真的还在,我的云雀!上我这儿来。
Come to me. You are not gone: not vanished?
你没有走,没有飞得无影无踪呀?
I heard one of your kind an hour ago, singing high over the wood:
一小时之前,我听见你的一个同类在高高的树林里歌唱,
but its song had no music for me, any more than the rising sun had rays.
可是对我来说,它的歌声没有音乐,就像初升的太阳没有光芒。