"He is untiringly active.
“他十分活跃,不知疲倦,
Great and exalted deeds are what he lives to perform."
他活着就是要成就伟大崇高的事业。”
"But his brain? That is probably rather soft?
“但他的头脑呢?大概比较软弱吧?
He means well: but you shrug your shoulders to hear him talk?"
他本意很好,但听他谈话你会耸肩。”
"He talks little, sir: what he does say is ever to the point.
“他说话不多,先生。但一开口总是一语中的。
His brain is first-rate, I should think not impressible, but vigorous."
我想他的头脑是一流的,不易打动,却十分活跃。”
"Is he an able man, then?"
“那么他很能干了?”
"Truly able."
“确实很能干。”
"A thoroughly educated man?"
“一个受过良好教育的人?”
"St. John is an accomplished and profound scholar."
“圣·约翰是一个造诣很深、学识渊博的学者。”
"His manners, I think, you said are not to your taste?
“他的风度,我想你说过,不合你的口味?”
-- priggish and parsonic?"
“——一正经,一付牧师腔调。”
"I never mentioned his manners;
“我从来没有提起过他的风度。
but, unless I had a very bad taste, they must suit it; they are polished, calm, and gentlemanlike."
但除非我的口味很差,不然是很合意的。他的风度优雅、沉着,一付绅士派头,”
"His appearance, -- I forget what description you gave of his appearance;
“他的外表——我忘了你是怎么样描述他的外表的了
-- a sort of raw curate, half strangled with his white neckcloth, and stilted up on his thick-soled high-lows, eh?"
——那种没有经验的副牧师,扎着白领巾,弄得气都透不过来;穿着厚底高帮靴,顶得像踏高跷似的,是吧?”
"St. John dresses well.
“圣·约翰衣冠楚楚,
He is a handsome man: tall, fair, with blue eyes, and a Grecian profile."
是个漂亮的男子,高个子,白皮肤,蓝眼晴,鼻梁笔挺。”
(Aside.) "Damn him!" -- (To me.)
(旁白)“见他的鬼!
"Did you like him, Jane?"
你喜欢他吗,简爱?
"Yes, Mr. Rochester, I liked him: but you asked me that before."
“是的,罗切斯特先生,我喜欢他。不过你以前问过我了。”
I perceived, of course, the drift of my interlocutor.
当然,我觉察出了说话人的用意。
Jealousy had got hold of him: she stung him;
妒嫉已经攫住了他,刺痛着他。
but the sting was salutary: it gave him respite from the gnawing fang of melancholy.
这是有益于身心的,让他暂时免受忧郁的咬啮。
I would not, therefore, immediately charm the snake.
因此我不想立刻降服嫉妒这条毒蛇。
"Perhaps you would rather not sit any longer on my knee, Miss Eyre?"
“也许你不愿意在我膝头上坐下去了,爱小姐?”
was the next somewhat unexpected observation.
接着便是这有些出乎意料的话。
"Why not, Mr. Rochester?"
“为什么不愿意呢,罗切斯特先生,”