I have been meditating for eight years, and I am still plenty ambitious.
我已经做了八年冥想,我仍然雄心勃勃。
However, these days I'm not as sweaty, agitated, and unpleasant about it as I used to be.
但是,我现在不像以前那样想起冥想时会满头大汗、烦躁不安、不愉快。
Meditation has helped me sort out my useless rumination from what I call constructive anguish.
冥想帮我从所谓的积极式痛苦中摆脱掉那些无用的沉思。
I have learned that the less enchanted you are by the voice in your head,
我明白了,你越是不被头脑中的声音所迷惑,
the more you can make room for entirely new thoughts and feelings to emerge.
就越能腾出空间让全新的想法和感觉浮现出来。
It has enabled me to take even more delight in my work, my wife, and our son, Alexander,
这使我对工作、妻子和儿子亚历山大都感到更加满意。
who suffuses me with warmth whether he's offering me a chicken nugget or wiping macerated muffin on my sleeve.
无论亚历山大给我一块鸡块,或是在我袖子上擦浸渍过的松饼,都让我感到温暖。
I am less in thrall to my desires and aversions, which has given me a wider perspective
我不那么受欲望和厌恶的束缚,这给了我更广阔的视野。
and, at times, a taste of a deep, ineffable unclenching.
有时,也让我体会到一种深沉、不可言喻的解脱。
In sum, meditation empowers you to tap into what lies beneath or beyond the ego.
总之,冥想能让你发掘出隐藏在自我之下或超越自我的东西,
Call it creativity. Call it your innate wisdom. Some people call it your heart. Ew
这称为创造力,是你与生俱来的智慧。有人把它叫做心灵。呃......
WHEN YOU'RE READY TO TAKE IT FURTHER
当你准备更进一步时
Count your breaths from one to ten, and then start over.
从一数到十,然后再重数。
Breathe in, one, then out. Breathe in, two, then out, and so on.
吸气,一,然后呼气。吸气,二,呼气,依此类推。
Some people like to recite a short phrase to help them stay focused.
有些人喜欢背诵简短的短语来帮助他们保持专注。
"Just this breath" is a good one.
“呼吸”这个就很好。
It reminds us not to start anticipating the next breath, or to think about the last one,
它提醒我们不要开始预测下一次呼吸,也不要去想最后一次呼吸,
or to imagine in any of the innumerable ways the mind can cook up that anything else is supposed to be happening—"just this breath."
或者想象大脑可以用无数种方式制造出任何其他会发生的事——“而只是呼吸。”
Recruit an image. Sometimes I imagine the in breath as a gentle wave moving up the beach, pshhhh,
运用一个形象。有时我会把呼入想象成一股轻柔的波浪向海滩上移动,噗斯,
and on the out breath, the wave recedes, sssssshh. Back and forth. Find an image that works for you.
呼出则是波浪退去,丝......来回这样,找到一个适合你的形象。
Give guided audio meditations a shot.
试试引导性有声冥想。
Some people wrongly assume that guided meditations are a form of training wheels—or cheating. I disagree.
有些人错误地认为引导性冥想是一种训练轮或欺骗的形式,我不同意这种说法。
Instructions are quickly forgotten. Having someone in your ear can be really helpful.
人们很快就会忘掉那些指令,有人在你耳边说些什么很有帮助。
My advice is to experiment with both audio and solo meditations and see what works best.
我的建议是尝试有声冥想和单独的冥想,看看哪种方法最有效。