When Jobs called Bewkes about making a deal for Time Inc. magazines on the iPad,
乔布斯致电比克斯,提出就时代集团旗下杂志载入iPad做一笔交易;
he started off by warning that the print business "sucks," that "nobody really wants your magazines,"
他一开始就警告说平媒业“糟透了”,“没有人真的想买你们的杂志”,
and that Apple was offering a great opportunity to sell digital subscriptions, but "your guys don't get it."
苹果公司为他们提供一个销售电子版的绝好机会,但“你们这些家伙居然不接受”。
Bewkes didn't agree with any of those premises.
比克斯完全不同意乔布斯的这些说辞。
He said he was happy for Apple to sell digital subscriptions for Time Inc. Apple's 30% take was not the problem.
他表示,自己很愿意通过苹果公司销售时代集团的数字订阅产品,苹果公司30%的抽成也不成问题。
"I'm telling you right now, if you sell a sub for us, you can have 30%," Bewkes told him.
“我现在就告诉你,你帮我们卖掉一份,就可以拿走30%。”比克斯告诉乔布斯。
"Well, that's more progress than I've made with anybody," Jobs replied.
乔布斯回答说:“好啊,这已经比其他人进步多了。”
"I have only one question," Bewkes continued.
“我只有一个问题,”比克斯继续说道,
zzzzzz"If you sell a subscription to my magazine, and I give you the 30%, who has the subscription -- you or me?"
“如果你卖掉了我的杂志订阅,我给你30%的抽成,那么订阅用户算谁的--你还是我?”
"I can't give away all the subscriber info because of Apple's privacy policy," Jobs replied.
“鉴于苹果公司的隐私政策,我不能给你所有的订阅者信息。”乔布斯回答说。
"Well, then, we have to figure something else out,
“好吧,那么我们得把其他事搞明白,
because I don't want my whole subscription base to become subscribers of yours, for you to then aggregate at the Apple store," said Bewkes.
因为我不想自己的整个订阅群到你手上,成为苹果商店的订阅用户。”比克斯说道。
"And the next thing you'll do, once you have a monopoly,
“今后你一旦取得了垄断,就会来找我,
is come back and tell me that my magazine shouldn't be $4 a copy but instead should be $1.
告诉我杂志不应该每本定价4美元,而应该是1美元。
If someone subscribes to our magazine, we need to know who it is, we need to be able to create online communities of those people,
如果有人订阅了我们的杂志,我们需要知道订阅者是谁,我们需要能够建立订阅者网上社区,
and we need the right to pitch them directly about renewing."
我们需要有直接向他们发送续订信息的权力。”