Do you remember when you were 12 years old? I do.
你们还记得你的12岁吗?我记得。
I was on a mission, convinced that I could change the world around me.
当时我在做一项任务,坚信我能改变周围的世界。
In 2013, together with my sister Isabel, I started a movement in Bali because I saw a problem that I thought had an easy solution.
2013年,我跟妹妹伊莎贝尔一起在巴厘岛发起了一场运动,因为我看到了一个问题,并且认为有一个简单的解决方法。
We wanted to do something about the growing problem of plastic pollution on our home island of Bali, Indonesia.
我们想要做一些什么来解决日趋严重的塑料污染问题,为了我们在印度尼西亚的家乡——巴厘岛。
Now, when I first started, I had never heard of the word "changemaker" or "activist."
刚开始的时候我从未听说过“变革者”或“活动家”这个词。
Today, I introduce myself as a full-time changemaker and movement builder.
今天,我把自己介绍为一个全职变革者和运动建设者。
But it was not always delivered with such confidence.
因为过程并不不是永远满怀自信的。
There is this saying, "If I only knew back then what I know today."
有一个说法“要是我当时知道现在的状况就好了。”
Sounds familiar, right?
听起来很熟悉,是吧?
I started full of passion and excitement, believing that I would achieve this change of making Bali plastic-bag-free before summer was over and the school year started.
刚开始的时候,我充满热情和激动,相信我能在夏季结束和新学年开始之前,成功把巴厘岛变成一个零塑料袋的地方。
And everywhere I went, I was met with, "Oh, so cute, so inspirational."
无论我去到哪里都会有人说,“噢!真可爱,太鼓舞人心了!”
And yeah, I guess two little girls and a bunch of friends trying to make a difference is pretty special.
确实,我想两个小女孩和她们的一群朋友试图做出一些改变是挺特别的。
But you know what?
但是你知道吗?
Cute wasn't really what I was going for.
可爱并不是我想要的。
I slowly learned to build a team, to gather evidence, create campaigns, develop a movement, to stage beach cleanups collect signatures, speak in public and meet politicians.
我慢慢学会了组建团队收集证据,发起活动。我开展了一项运动进行海滩清理,我征集了一些签名,在公众场合演讲,并且跟政客见面。
The more I learned, the more I wanted things to change.
学的越多,我就越想事情有所改变。
Passion quickly turned into obsession, and when change didn't happen as quickly as I expected, at 14 years old, frustration settled deep in my soul.
很快,我的热情转化为了痴迷,当改变并没有像我想象中来得那么快的时候,那时14岁的我倍感绝望。
And soon after that, in my first years of high school, I experienced my first burnout.
不久之后,在我高中的第一年经历了人生中第一次倦怠。
But having said that, I wouldn't have changed a thing, especially because in 2019, Bali finally did ban single-use plastic bags.
但话虽如此,我也不会做出任何改变,特别是因为2019年巴厘岛最终禁止了一次性塑料袋。
My peers and I created our own learning journey outside of the traditional curriculum and classroom.
我和同伴们在传统课程和课堂之外创造了我们自己的学习之旅。
Building our own guidance and frameworks that could share with us what the next step should be,
建立了我们自己的方向和框架,这可以告诉我们下一步该怎么做,
how to continue building the momentum we needed to achieve the change we wanted to see.
如何继续创造我们需要的动力以实现我们想看到的改变。
I went through a lot of life lessons very quickly.
我快速上了很多人生课。
And yet there are things that I wish someone could have told me earlier, back when I was starting.
然而有些事情我希望在我起步的时候有人早已告诉我。
First, change does not happen as quickly as summer vacation.
首先,改变不会像暑期假日一样来得那么快。
It takes a long time, and that is not always easy to accept.
这需要很长的时间,这通常是很难被接受的。
But that is why it is essential to create a clear goal with a timeline.
但这就是为什么设定一个明确的时间表和目标至关重要。
Also, it takes a lot of people.
当然,这也需要很多人参与其中。
Listen and be open to learn, but stay true to the mission.
倾听,并且虚心学习,但要忠于使命。
And it would have also been so helpful to know how to navigate collaborations with businesses and politicians.
与此同时,还有一点能起到帮助作用,那就是知道如何与商界和政界人士合作。
Someone has to address the elephant in the room.
必须有人去解决那些不容忽视的问题。
And finally, it's OK to take a break and step back for a second.
最后,退一步说,休息一下,也是可以的。
There are many of us on the front lines who will continue the work while you rest and recharge.
我们之中有很多人在一线,在你休息和充电时,他们依然继续工作。
Today, many of us are getting involved at a younger and younger age.
今天参与到我们中的许多人越来越年轻。
16-year-olds, 15, 14, 10-year-olds are out on the front lines, missing school, drafting manifestos, organizing demonstrations, bringing governments and corporations to court, refusing to wait until we are older to start making a difference.
一线参与者有16岁的、15岁的、14岁的,还有10岁的,他们旷课,起草宣言,组织示威游行,将政府和企业告上法庭,不想等老了再去改变。