"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
“给我你的疲惫,你的可怜,渴望自由呼吸的挤成一团的群众,富饶海岸上可怜的贫民。
Send these, the homeless, tempest tossed to me.
把这些无家可归的,被风暴摧残的人交给我。
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
我在金色的门边举起我的灯。
I can't remember what I did Tuesday, but I remember…I remember that song Mr. Grossman chose to teach us.
我不记得周二我做了什么,但我记得格罗斯曼先生选择教我们的那首歌。
It stirred my 11-year-old heart then, and it animates my conscience today.
它当时触动了我11岁的心,今天也让我的良知活跃起来。
That's what great teachers do.
这就是伟大的老师应该做的。
She died in 2003, God rest her soul.
她死于2003年,上帝保佑她安息。
Okay, here's my theory.
好吧,这是我的观点。
I'm going to go very fast, so have to stay with me, OK?
我说的比较快,跟上我的思路好吗?
Human life has been organized in a certain way.
人类的生活是以某种方式组织起来的。
The hierarchy set, who's in charge, who makes the laws and who enforces the laws, pretty much the same way for 40,000 years.
等级设定了谁负责、谁制定法律,谁执行法律,4万年来几乎都是这样的。
Yeah, I know, I know. There were some small number of matrilineal cultures and some outliers who were more tolerant to differences, very true; but pretty much and so-called democracies, the great democracy of Greece, where women and slaves were excluded.
有一些少数的母系文化和一些局外人对差异更宽容,这是真的;但几乎是在所谓的民主国家,伟大的希腊民主,妇女和奴隶被排除在外。
Pretty much through our history, might made right and the biggest and the richest and the baddest were the best.
几乎在我们的历史上,强权是正确的,最大的、最富有的和最坏的都是最好的。
And the man, pretty much always was a man.
而这些一直都是男人。
But suddenly, at one point in the 20th century, for reasons I can't possibly enumerate in the two minutes that I have left, something did change.
但是突然之间,在20世纪的某一时刻,出于一些我无法列举的原因,一些事情确实发生了变化。
The clouds parted and women began to be regarded, if not as equal, but as deserving of equal rights.
乌云散去,妇女开始被认为是平等的,应该享有平等的权利。
It' true. It was a first. Men and women of color demanded their equal rights.
这是真的。这是第一次。有色人种男女要求平等的权利。
People of sexual orientation and gender identification outside the status quo also demanded their equal regard under the law.
现状之外的性取向和性别认同的人也要求在法律下得到平等的尊重。