I say nothing about myself.
我没什么好说的。
Ask our mistress yourself, the old woman; there is no one in the world cleverer than she is.
你去问问你的主人——那个老太婆,她是世界上最聪明的人!
Do you suppose she has any desire to float on the water or to duck underneath it?"
你觉得她想去游泳,钻进水底下吗?”
"You do not understand me," said the duckling.
“你们不了解我,”丑小鸭说。
"Well, if we don't understand you, who should?
“我们不了解你?谁了解你呢?
I suppose you don't consider yourself cleverer than the cat or the old woman, not to mention me.
你不会觉得你比猫儿和女主人更聪明吧——我先不提我自己。
Don't make a fool of yourself, child, and thank your stars for all the good we have done you!
你太自以为是了!现在有人照顾你,你都应该感谢上帝。
Have you not lived in this warm room, and in such society that you might have learned something?
屋子里头这么暖和,你有这么一些朋友,而且还可以向他们学习很多东西,不是吗?
But you are an idiot, and there is no pleasure in associating with you.
你真是一个蠢蛋,跟你在一起真不痛快。
You may believe me I mean you well, I tell you home truths, and there is no surer way than that of knowing who are one's friends.
我对你说这些不好听的话完全是为了你好。只有这样,你才知道谁是你的真正朋友!
You just see about laying some eggs, or learn to purr, or to emit sparks."
好好学习下蛋,像猫一样咪咪地叫,或者迸出火花吧!”
"I think I will go out into the wide world," said the duckling.
“我还是想去看看广袤的世界,”丑小鸭说。
"Oh, do so by all means!" said the hen.
“好吧,你去吧!”母鸡说。
So away went the duckling; he floated on the water and ducked underneath it,
于是丑小鸭就出发了。有时他在水面上游荡,有时他钻进水底;
but he was looked askance at by every living creature for his ugliness.
不过,因为他实在是太丑了,所有的动物都瞧不起他。
Now the autumn came on, the leaves in the woods turned yellow and brown; the wind took hold of them, and they danced about.
转眼就到了秋天,叶子也纷纷变成棕黄色。秋风扫过,树叶就随风在空中飞舞,
The sky looked very cold, and the clouds hung heavy with snow and hail.
云载着沉重的冰雹和雪花,在半空中低悬着。
A raven stood on the fence and croaked Caw! Caw! from sheer cold; it made one shiver only to think of it.
乌鸦站在篱笆上,冻得只管叫:“呱!呱!”是的,光是想想这幅光景就会觉得冷了。
The poor duckling certainly was in a bad case.
可怜的丑小鸭没有过一天舒服的日子。