Canadians still believe in progress.
加拿大人仍然相信进步。
Or at least, they believe that progress is possible.
或者至少,相信这种进步是可能的。
But this optimism is also mixed with a great number of concerns.
但这种乐观情绪中夹杂着许多担忧。
And, Canadians not the only ones to feel like this.
显然,并不是只有加拿大人有这种感觉。
These feelings are present everywhere.
这种感觉无处不在。
That anxiety is a reality.
这种焦虑是现实。
When leaders are faced with citizens’ anxiety, we have a choice to make.
当领导人面对公民的焦虑时,我们必须做出选择。
Do we exploit that anxiety or do we allay it?
我们是利用这种焦虑,还是减轻它?
Exploiting it is easy.
利用它是很容易的。
But in order to allay it, we need to be prepared to answer some very direct questions.
但为了减轻压力,我们需要准备回答一些非常直接的问题。
What will create the good, well-paying jobs that people want, and need, and deserve?
怎样才能创造出人们想要、需要和应得的高薪好工作?
What will strengthen and grow the middle class, and help those working hard to join it?
怎样才能壮大中产阶级,并帮助那些努力工作的人加入中产阶级?
What will build an economy that works for everyone?
怎样才能建立一个对所有人都有效的经济体?
What will help to make the world a safer, more peaceful place?
怎样才能使世界变得更安全、更和平?
To allay people’s anxiety, we need to create economic growth that is broadly shared, because a fair and successful world is a peaceful world.
为了减轻人们的焦虑,我们需要创造广泛分享的经济增长,因为一个公平和成功的世界是一个和平的世界。
We need to focus on what brings us together, not on what divides us.
我们需要专注于让我们走到一起的东西,而不是分裂我们的东西。
For Canada, that means re-engaging in global affairs through institutions like the United Nations.
对加拿大来说,这意味着通过联合国等机构重新参与全球事务。
It doesn’t serve our interests -- or the world’s -- to pretend we’re not deeply affected by what happens beyond our borders.
假装我们没有受到境外发生的事情的深刻影响,不符合我们的利益,也不符合世界的利益。
Earlier this year, we helped to negotiate the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
今年早些时候,我们帮助谈判了《巴黎气候变化协定》。
And we are commited to implementing it, we announced that Canada would invest $2.65 billion over five years to fund clean, low-carbon growth in developing countries.
作为我们履行该协议承诺的一部分,我们宣布,加拿大将在五年内投资26.5亿美元,为发展中国家的清洁、低碳增长提供资金。
We've a view to helping to promote peace and security in those zones which are affected by instability,
为了帮助促进受不稳定影响地区的和平与安全,
we have reasserted our support for NATO and we have committed ourselves to increasing Canada’s role in the peacekeeping operations of the United Nations.
我们重申支持北约,并承诺扩大加拿大在联合国维持和平行动中的作用。
And we have hosted the Fifth Global Fund Replenishment Conference, where we increased our contribution by 20% by giving more than $800 million to the Global Fund.
我们还主办了第五届全球基金补充大会,我们向全球基金捐赠超过8亿美元,将捐款增加了20%。
And we also encouraged our partners to increase their contributions to the Global Fund, which has allowed us to amass some $13 billionto eliminate AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria by 2030.
我们还鼓励我们的合作伙伴增加捐款,使我们有可能筹集130亿美元,以支持在2030年前消灭艾滋病、结核病和疟疾。
We’ve done all this -- and will do much more -- because we believe we should confront anxiety with a clear plan to deal with its root causes.
我们已经做到了这一切--而且还会做得更多--因为我们相信,我们应该有一个明确的计划,从根本上解决焦虑。