Take, for instance: Why should a workplace be diverse?
举例来说:为什么工作场所应该是多样化的?
And this is what I hear all the time: "So it better reflects our customers, allowing us to build better products, so we can improve retention, so we can increase innovation and profit."
我一直以来听到的都是这些:“这样能更好地对客户做出反馈,让我们能够制造更好的产品,提高员工留存率,促进创新并提高利润。”
Alright.
好吧。
But what if you already have record-setting profits?
但如果你已经获得了创纪录的利润呢?
What if your products are already all the rage?
如果你的产品已经风靡全球了呢?
What [about] when there are far easier alternatives to increasing profits than the difficult work of organizational change?
如果就提高利润来说,有很多比组织变革这项艰巨任务简单得多的替代方案,你会怎么做?
What then?
然后呢?
What then will motivate us to stay the course?
那么,有什么能激励我们坚持多样性呢?
So, folks, I need you.
所以,各位,我需要你们。
Let's come together and set the narrative straight.
让我们一起把话说清楚。
Here, let's say this loud and clear.
让我们大声而清晰地说出这一点。
We want every workplace to affirm women, minorities and every group that is underrepresented - not in expectation of more innovation or profit or retention, but because it is the right thing to do.
我们希望每个工作场所都支持女性、少数族裔和每一个缺乏发声的群体——不是为了更多的创新、利润或留存率,而是因为这是正确的。
It is the just thing to do, because that is what we ought to do.
这是公正的事情,是我们应该做的事情。
Now, I'm not minimizing the difficulty of organizational change.
我不是在轻视组织变革的难度。
I run an organization.
我经营着一个组织。
I understand the competing demands and priorities.
我理解相互竞争的要求和优先事项。
Reconciling what we ought to do with what we can do is necessarily imperfect.
我们无法完美协调应做的事和能做的事。
Moral clarity is not moral perfection.
明确的道德不是完美的道德。
It is moral alertness.
它是道德层面的警觉。
I'm also not minimizing or saying that innovation or better products or retention are not worthy goals.
我也不是在轻视或声称创新、更好的产品或留存率不是值得追求的目标。
My point is, let's start making space in our organizations for moral language and clear moral arguments.
我的观点是,让我们开始在组织中为道德相关的言论和清晰的道德论证创造一些空间。
Now - There was a time in America when you could start as a custodian or in the mail room and rise through the ranks, even to the top job.
现在——在美国曾经有一段时间,你可以从保管员或收发室职员开始,在公司不断晋升,甚至到高层工作。
Now that doesn't happen anymore.
现在这种情况消失不见。
We have outsourced those jobs.
我们已经将这些工作外包出去了。
We have turned them into gig work.
这些工作变成了临时工作。
And the problem is not just the low wages or poor benefits or the unpredictable working hours.
问题不仅仅是工资低、福利少或工作时间不确定。
The problem is we know nothing, nothing about the lives of so many who make our own possible.
问题在于,我们对这么多人,这么多为我们的生活奠定基础的人们的生活一无所知。
We don't know that the worker in our cafeteria is sleeping in her car so she can work three jobs to send her kids to college.
我们不知道食堂的工作人员睡在车里,这样她就可以打三份工,供她的孩子上大学。
We don't know that the worker in our warehouse has uncontrolled diabetes, even though he has health insurance.
我们不知道仓库里的工人糖尿病控制不佳,尽管他有医疗保险。
But he doesn't have the time to manage this chronic condition.
他没有时间来控制这种慢性疾病。
Folks, how can we be just if these indignities are hidden from us, if they don't show up in our accounting?
伙计们,如果这些耻辱被隐藏起来,如果它们不会出现在我们的账目中,我们如何实现公正?
How can lives matter, truly matter to us, if you only read about them?
如果我们只是略有耳闻,
If you don't encounter them?
如果你没有遇到他们,
If you don't share in their humanity?
如果你不与他们共同分担,我们该如何真正明白生命的重要性?
So, it shouldn't take a hot labor market for us to invest in our entry-level employees.
因此,我们投资初级雇员不需要一个炙手可热的劳动力市场。
And let's not stop at tuition subsidies and training.
我们不能止步于学费补贴和培训。
Let's do the harder work of mentoring those who do not show up on our organizational charts.
我们要更加努力,指导那些没有出现在我们组织架构上的人。
Let's understand their aspirations and connect them to opportunities, even if those are outside our firms.
我们要了解他们的理想抱负,让他们获得机会,即使这些机会与工作无关。