Rick believes there are ways to know if a friendship is good or bad.
里克认为,有很多方法可以验证一段友谊是好是坏。
He says that bad friendships make people feel bad.
他说,糟糕的友谊会让人感觉很糟糕。
They often find themselves doing things they do not want to do.
他们经常发现自己在做自己不想做的事情。
They feel pressure from their friends to do these things.
他们因为从朋友那里感受到压力才做这些事情。
And these friends may try to control them through anger or fear. Rick says:
这些朋友可能会试图通过愤怒或恐惧来控制他们。里克说:
“The kind of friends you should have will bring out the best in you.
“你应该拥有那种激发你最好一面的朋友。
They will lift you up, encourage you, and make you a better person.”
他们会使你振奋,鼓励你,让你成为更好的人。”
Rick Warren says that another way that people get into bad situations is by repeating their mistakes.
里克·沃伦说,人们陷入困境的另一种方式是重复他们的错误。
Often they do not try to change when they make a mistake.
通常,当他们犯了错误时,他们不会试图去改变。
They continue doing the same things over and over.
他们继续一遍又一遍地做同样的事情。
Derrick was in the gang for two years before he wanted to change.
德里克在团伙里待了两年才想改变。
He did not want to change until the terrible shooting.
在可怕的枪击事件发生之前,他不想改变。
That incident made him examine his life. He said:
那件事让他重新审视了自己的人生。他说:
“The hardest part about being in jail was that no one cared.
“在监狱里最难的部分是没人关心。
There was no one to tell me that I needed to change.
没有人告诉我我需要改变。
I had no family.
我没有家人。
I sat in jail and kept thinking about my crime.
我坐在监狱里,一直在想我的罪行。
I deeply regretted it.
我对此深感遗憾。
So, I asked God to forgive me.
所以,我请求上帝原谅我。
I asked him to guide me down a different road.
我请他指引我走上一条不同的道路。
Then, I wrote Tim a letter to apologise.
然后,我给蒂姆写了一封道歉信。
And, now we are friendly.
现在,我们很友好。
We have both left the gangs.
我们都离开了团伙。
Also, I started reading in jail.
另外,我在监狱里开始读书。
And I finished my high school degree.
我获得了我的高中学历。
I made a change. Many people refuse to admit they need to change.”
我做出了改变。许多人拒绝承认他们需要改变。”