手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

可持续的第一代人(4)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

He got an electric car because the design and the driving experience were far better than the petrol alternatives.

他买这辆电动汽车,是因为它的设计和驾驶体验。

That is how we make low-carbon technologies the default.

这就是我们将低碳技术作为默认技术的方式。

We need to reframe the way we talk about sustainability as often promoted as a sacrifice.

我们需要重新定义我们谈论可持续发展的方式,因为可持续发展通常被当作牺牲来宣传。

Environmental messaging is often built on scarcity.

环境信息通常建立在稀缺性之上。

It’s about reducing our lives back to the bare minimum and no more.

这是为了将我们的生活减少到最低限度,仅此而已。

But this is not a vision that inspires anyone.

但这不是一个能激发任何人灵感的愿景。

This is not the future we want to build.

这不是我们想要建设的未来。

We need to reframe sustainability as an opportunity, because it is an opportunity.

我们需要将可持续发展重新定义为机遇,因为这是一个机遇。

It's an opportunity to provide clean, abundant energy for everyone, whether that's powering cities or countries, or getting rural communities connected for the very first time.

这是一个为所有人提供清洁、充足能源的机会,无论是为城市或国家供电,还是第一次让农村社区联网。

It’s about not being at the whims of fossil-fuel markets or having millions plunged into fuel poverty when dictators invade neighboring countries.

这是为了不要随心所欲地利用化石燃料市场,也不要在独裁者入侵邻国时让数百万人陷入燃料贫困。

It's about breathing clean air.

这是关于呼吸干净的空气。

Here, we see the decline in harmful air pollution in the US, from 2005 to 2021.

在这里,我们看到,从2005年到2021年,美国的有害空气污染有所下降。

Stopping people from dying is not a sacrifice.

阻止人们死亡不是一种牺牲。

Finally, it's a way to rethink the way we live our lives, the way we design our cities and our communities.

最后,这是一种重新思考我们的生活方式、我们设计城市和社区的方式。

Here, we see Copenhagen, with bikes on the road, or Amsterdam, where you have layer upon layer of bike rack.

在这里,我们可以看到哥本哈根,自行车在路上,或者阿姆斯特丹,那里有一层又一层的自行车架。

Now I'm not saying this is how our cities have to look.

现在我并不是说我们的城市必须这样看。

We can design them in any way we want.

我们可以随心所欲地设计它们。

What I'm saying is that sustainability gives us the shelf to rethink the way we do things.

我的意思是,可持续发展为我们提供了重新思考做事方式的架子。

Finally, we need to rethink the way we use data.

最后,我们需要重新思考我们使用数据的方式。

As a data scientist, I take this very seriously.

作为一名数据科学家,我非常认真地对待这个问题。

The environmentalists have done an amazing job of waking the world up to these problems.

环保主义者在唤醒世界意识到这些问题方面做得非常出色。

Those charts of rising CO2 and rising temperature have been absolutely critical.

这些二氧化碳上升和温度上升的图表绝对至关重要。

They're why I'm on the stage today, they're why I got involved in this in the first place.

这就是我今天登上舞台的原因,也是我一开始就参与这个的原因。

But there's a limit.

但是有一个极限。

When that's all we see, we become paralyzed.

当我们只看到这些时,我们就会陷入瘫痪。

We see these lines rising, and we assume that they might never stop.

我们看到这些线在上升,我们假设它们可能永远不会停止。

We assume that no progress has been made, that nothing good is happening.

我们假设没有取得任何进展,也没有发生任何好事。

But as we've just seen, this couldn't be further from the truth.

但正如我们刚才所见,这与事实相去甚远。

We need to use data to inspire, to show what the problems are, also what the solutions are, and we need to show real signs of progress from countries, individuals, companies.

我们需要使用数据来激发灵感,展示问题所在,解决方案是什么,我们需要展示国家,个人、公司的真实进展迹象。

Historically, our sustainability equation went like this.

从历史上看,我们的可持续发展方程式是这样的。

It was one or the other.

它是一个或另一个。

You could not have both at the same time.

你不可能同时拥有两者。

We can be the first generation that does achieve both.

我们可以成为第一代同时实现这两个目标的人。

Now the emphasis here is on "can." None of this is inevitable.

现在这里的重点是“可以”。所有这些都不是不可避免的。

It's not even inevitable that we'd have this opportunity in the first place.

我们一开始就有这样的机会甚至不是不可避免的。

We're only here because of the relentless work of environmentalists, activists, scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, communicators, determined to make the world a better place.

我们之所以来到这里,是因为环保主义者、活动家、科学家、工程师、企业家、传播者的不懈努力,他们决心让世界变得更美好。

They have brought us here, and we need to take that forward.

他们把我们带到了这里,我们需要向前迈进。

We need to do it bigger, and we need to do it much, much faster.

我们需要把它做得更大,我们需要做得更快。

But we do have the opportunity to be the first generation that builds a sustainable world.

但我们确实有机会成为建设可持续发展世界的第一代人。

Let's take it.

让我们拿走吧。

Thank you.

谢谢。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
scarcity ['skɛəsiti]

想一想再看

n. 缺乏,不足,缺少

联想记忆
pollution [pə'lu:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 污染,污染物

 
achieve [ə'tʃi:v]

想一想再看

v. 完成,达到,实现

 
default [di'fɔ:lt]

想一想再看

n. 假设值,默认(值), 不履行责任,缺席 v. 默认

联想记忆
abundant [ə'bʌndənt]

想一想再看

adj. 丰富的,充裕的

联想记忆
equation [i'kweiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 相等,方程(式), 等式,均衡

联想记忆
inevitable [in'evitəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可避免的,必然(发生)的

 
temperature ['tempritʃə(r)]

想一想再看

n. 温度,气温,体温,发烧

 
assume [ə'sju:m]

想一想再看

vt. 假定,设想,承担; (想当然的)认为

联想记忆
critical ['kritikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 批评的,决定性的,危险的,挑剔的
a

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。