“My worst moment came when I was 27.
“我最糟糕的时刻是我27岁那年。
I had been drinking alcohol and using crystal meth.
我一直在喝酒和吸食冰毒。
I went into a bar, a drinking place.
我走进一家酒吧,一个喝酒的地方。
I had a big fight with my girlfriend.
我和我的女朋友大吵了一架。
The security men tried to stop me.
保安试图阻止我。
I remember, they held me to the ground and hit me.
我记得,他们把我按在地上,打了我。
I told them I would kill them.
我告诉他们我会杀了他们。
I went home and put my shotgun in my truck.
我回到家,把猎枪放进我的卡车里。
Then, I drove my truck back - straight into the bar.
然后,我开着卡车直接撞进了那个酒吧。
I pushed the security men to the floor.
我把保安推倒在地。
I was ready to shoot them.
我准备向他们开枪。
I got my gun out.
我拿出了枪。
“But suddenly, I stopped feeling the effects of the drugs and alcohol.
“但突然,我感受不到毒品和酒精的影响。
I was shocked at myself.
我对自己感到震惊。
What was I doing? I left.
我在做什么?我离开了。
But later, the police arrested me.
但后来,警察逮捕了我。
They charged me with three attempted murders.
他们指控我犯有三起谋杀未遂罪。
‘The judge said I needed drug treatment.
“法官说我需要接受药物治疗。
So, I went to a centre called "Ho’omau Ke Ola".
于是,我去了一家名为‘Ho’omau Ke Ola’的中心。
In English, this means "to live life as it was meant to be".
它的意思是“活出应有的样子”。
‘At the treatment centre they made us work on a farm.
“在治疗中心,他们让我们在农场干活。
We farmed a taro field.
我们种了一块芋头地。
Taro is an imprortant plant in Hawaiian culture.
芋头是夏威夷文化中的一种重要植物。
Taking care of the land, I discovered my identity.
在照顾这片土地的过程中,我认清了自己。
‘The recovery programme offered me a new way of living.
“康复计划为我提供了一种新的生活方式。
It gave me a set of guidelines that I can live by.
它给了我一套生活的准则。
All I have to do is stay without drugs one day a time.’
我所要做的就是不吸毒。”
Today, Kalani Kahalioumi manages a programme to help young drug addicts in Hawaii.
如今,卡拉妮·卡哈利乌米管理着一个帮助夏威夷年轻吸毒者的项目。
Stories like Kalani’s offer hope for people already trapped by drugs.
诸如卡拉尼这样的故事为那些已经被毒品困住的人带来了希望。
But Kalani knows that he is one of the lucky ones.
但卡拉尼知道他是幸运儿之一。
The memorial wall website helps us remember those who were not so lucky.
纪念墙网站帮助我们缅怀那些没有那么幸运的人。
The message is clear - avoid taking drugs.
信息很明确——避免吸毒。