So, Joseph, before we get into the intricacies of this particular feud, this rap beef, can you just remind us who Drake is and who Kendrick Lamar is?
那么,约瑟夫,在我们开始讲这一错综复杂的特殊恩怨之前,你能不能先提醒我们德雷克是谁,肯德里克·拉马尔是谁?
Like, just place for me they're standing within hip-hop and broader culture and why it matters that these are the two people who are beefing right now.
就像,我只想知道他们在嘻哈和更广泛的文化中的地位,以及为什么这两个人现在的嘻哈之争很重要。
So let's just start with Drake really quick.
所以让我们快速从德雷克开始。
Yeah, I think Drake is such an interesting phenomenon within rap music.
是的,我认为德雷克是在说唱音乐界很有趣。
His real name is Aubrey Drake Graham, Drake being his middle name.
他的真名是奥布里·德雷克·格雷厄姆,德雷克是他的中间名。
And I think he's just a very unlikely person to come out of rap music.
我认为他是说唱音乐界中一个不太可能出现的人。
Like, he is a biracial Canadian child star who was on "Degrassi.
就像,他是《德格拉西》中的混血加拿大童星。
" But he truly transcends almost everything you think rap music could be and has elevated the genres to somewhere I think the forefathers or the people who invented it could not possibly imagine.
但他真的超越了你认为说唱音乐可能达到的几乎所有东西,并将说唱音乐的流派提升到了我认为说唱界鼻祖或发明它的人可能无法想象的程度。
[rapping] This one's for you.
[说唱]这是给你的。
Baby, you my everything, you all I ever wanted.
宝贝,你是我的一切,你是我想要的一切。
We could do it real big, bigger than you ever done it.
我们可以做得很大,比你做过的还要大。
Drake kind of came out I'll say in 2009, and he got signed to Lil Wayne.
德雷克是在 2009 年出道的,当时他签约了李尔-韦恩。
And from there, with the backing of Lil Wayne, he was like a very poppy, sad-boy era where kind of like -- it was kind of counterculture to rap music at the time.
从那时起,在李尔-韦恩的支持下,他就像一个非常流行的,悲伤的男孩时代,那种喜欢 - 这是一种反文化说唱音乐的时候。
Like that hard image.
就像那张硬照。
Exactly.
一点儿没错。
Where, like, you were meant to be tough, and he's like, "No, I'm not.
在那里,就像,你注定要强硬,而他说,“不,我不是。
I'm sad sometimes."
我有时会很难过。“
Yeah.
是啊。
Sad boy Drake.
悲伤的男孩德雷克。
Exactly.
一点儿没错。
So what about Kendrick?
那肯德里克呢?
Can you just remind us when he became very well-known nationally, like, where he's from, how would you describe his career?
你能不能提醒我们,他是什么时候在全国变得非常知名的,比如,他来自哪里,你如何描述他的职业生涯?
Yeah.
嗯。
Kendrick is someone who's from -- he's from Compton.
肯德里克来自--他来自康普顿。
And I would say that he's had a much more traditional rise within hip-hop.
我要说的是,他在嘻哈音乐中的崛起要传统得多。
"Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" is put up with one of the best albums of all time.
《好小子,M.A.A.D.City》堪称史上最好的专辑之一。
Not just Rap and not just in his class.
不只是Rap,也不只是在他的班上。
Music-wise, one of the best albums of all time.
音乐方面,有史以来最好的专辑之一。
[rapping] Seem like the whole city go against me.
[说唱]好像整个城市都在和我作对。
Every time I'm in the street, I hear, "Yawk, yawk, yawk, yawk!" Man down.
每次我在街上,都会听到 "呀,呀,呀,呀!" 有人倒下了
I remember a bunch of West Coast legends -- Dr.Dre, Game, Snoop Dogg -- they anointed him the next one.
我记得西海岸有很多传奇人物--德雷博士、游戏、史努比-道格--他们都认为他是下一个传奇人物。
And as you said, he won a Pulitzer Prize.
就像你说的,他获得了普利策奖。
He won a Pulitzer Prize.
他获得了普利策奖。
Exactly, exactly.
没错,没错。
So, he's, like, also accepted not just by the tastemakers and the grandfathers and godfathers of hip-hop but also just broader culture, right?
因此,他不仅被时尚引领者和嘻哈的祖师爷和教父们接受,而且也被更广泛的文化所接受,对吗?
Yes, and I think that Pulitzer -- It's really interesting you say that.
是的,我认为普利策奖--你这么说真的很有趣。
That Pulitzer, I think, crossed him over to a different audience too.
我认为,普利策也让他接触到了不同的观众。
Hmm, interesting.
嗯,有意思。
Not just rap fans, but literary fans as well.
不仅是说唱粉丝,还有文学粉丝。
Yeah, yeah, the broader culture.
是的,是的,更广泛的文化。
Yeah.
嗯。
So now let's get into how this beef between Kendrick and Drake started.
现在让我们来看看肯德里克和德雷克之间的恩怨是如何开始的。
Where's the origin of it, and just take us up to today?
它的起源在哪里,什么导致了今天的局面?
Right.
好。
So, there was -- In 2013, there was a song by Big Sean called "Control," and Kendrick was featured on it.
所以,在2013年,有一首大肖恩的歌叫《控制》,肯德里克就在这首歌里。
And Kendrick kind of called out all of his contemporaries by name and said, "I have all the respect in the world for you guys, but I am the best artist here.
肯德里克叫出了他所有同龄人的名字,说:“我尊重你们,但我是这里最好的艺术家。
I'm the best rapper.
我是最棒的说唱歌手。
I make the best music.
我创作了最好的音乐。
Just wanted to put that out in the air."
只是想把它抛到空中。
And while Drake never directly responded to it, that kind of, like, started the tension between these two that finally came to a head here.
虽然德雷克从未直接回应,但这引发了两人之间的紧张关系,最终达到了顶点。