As they started up the steps, Catelyn asked the question that had been troubling her since she entered the hall.
步上阶梯时,凯特琳问到从入厅起就困扰着她的问题。
“Robb, where is Grey Wind?”
“罗柏,灰风在哪儿?”
“In the yard, with a haunch of mutton.
“在院子里啃羊腿。
I told the kennelmaster to see that he was fed.”
我特地吩咐兽舍掌管准备的。”
“You always kept him with you before.”
“你不总让他跟在身边吗?”
“A hall is no place for a wolf.
“让冰原狼待在大厅里于礼不合。
He gets restless, you’ve seen.
你也见过,他会变得坐立不安,
Growling and snapping.
又吼又咬。
I should never have taken him into battle with me.
唉,早知我就不带他上战场了,
He’s killed too many men to fear them now.
他杀了太多人,现在一点也不怕生。
Jeyne’s anxious around him, and he terrifies her mother.”
有他在旁边,简妮总是很不安,而她母亲则是怕他。”
And there’s the heart of it, Catelyn thought.
这就对了,凯特琳心想。
“He is part of you, Robb.
“他是你的一部分,罗柏,
To fear him is to fear you.”
怕他就是怕你。”
“I am not a wolf, no matter what they call me.”
“我才不是狼,不管别人怎么说!”
Robb sounded cross.
罗柏有些生气。
“Grey Wind killed a man at the Crag, another at Ashemark, and six or seven at Oxcross.
“灰风在攻打峭岩城和烙印城时分别杀了一个人,在牛津一役中则咬死六七个,
If you had seen—”
如果你看到——”
“I saw Bran’s wolf tear out a man’s throat at Winterfell,” she said sharply, “and loved him for it.”
“我在临冬城亲眼见过布兰的狼撕开活人的喉咙,”她尖锐地说,“我喜欢他那样。”
“That’s different.
“这不是一回事。
The man at the Crag was a knight Jeyne had known all her life.
死在峭岩城的那个骑士简妮从小就认识,
You can’t blame her for being afraid.
她会害怕,难道是她的错吗?
Grey Wind doesn’t like her uncle either.
而今灰风又讨厌她舅舅,
He bares his teeth every time Ser Rolph comes near him.”
每当见到罗佛爵士,就会呲牙咧齿,就会……”
A chill went through her.
一阵寒意掠过。
“Send Ser Rolph away. At once.”
“听我说,立刻遣走罗佛爵士。”
“Where? Back to the Crag, so the Lannisters can mount his head on a spike?
“遣走?笑话!遣去哪里?遣回峭岩城,好让兰尼斯特把他脑袋插枪上吗?
Jeyne loves him.
母亲,简妮爱他,
He’s her uncle, and a fair knight besides.
他不仅是她舅舅,还是个好骑士。
I need more men like Rolph Spicer, not fewer.
我需要一千个罗佛·斯派瑟,
I am not going to banish him just because my wolf doesn’t seem to like the way he smells.”
而不是把忠勇的人拿掉,仅仅因为我的狼不喜欢他的味道。”
“Robb.”
“罗柏。”
She stopped and held his arm.
她停步抓住他的胳膊。
“I told you once to keep Theon Greyjoy close, and you did not listen.
“我曾劝告过你,把席恩·葛雷乔伊留在身边,你没有听;
Listen now.
现在,我要再次对你提出劝告。
Send this man away.
让这个人走吧。
I am not saying you must banish him.
我并非叫你拿掉他,
Find some task that requires a man of courage, some honorable duty, what it is matters not … but do not keep him near you.”
你可以给他找一项任务,一项需要勇气、能获得光荣的任务,具体是什么并不重要……重要的是不能把他留在身边。”
He frowned.
他皱紧眉头。
“Should I have Grey Wind sniff all my knights?
“如此说来,我该让灰风把我所有的骑士都嗅上一遍啰?
There might be others whose smell he mislikes.”
若还有其他人的气味他不喜欢怎么办?”
“Any man Grey Wind mislikes is a man I do not want close to you.
“灰风不喜欢的人,统统赶走。
These wolves are more than wolves, Robb.
这几头冰原狼不只是狼,罗柏啊,
You must know that.
你必须明白,
I think perhaps the gods sent them to us.
而是诸神送给我们家的礼物,
Your father’s gods, the old gods of the north.
是你父亲的神,北方的旧神所赐予的。
Five wolf pups, Robb, five for five Stark children.”
五只幼崽,罗柏,五只幼崽正好对应史塔克家的五个孩子。”
“Six,” said Robb.
“共有六只,”罗柏说,
“There was a wolf for Jon as well.
“还有一只给琼恩。
I found them, remember?
是我发现他们的,记得吗?
I know how many there were and where they came from.
我很清楚他们打哪儿来,有多少。
I used to think the same as you, that the wolves were our guardians, our protectors, until …”
从前,我和你想法一致,以为他们就是我们的保镖,是诸神的使者,直到……”
“Until?” she prompted.
“直到?”她提示。
Robb’s mouth tightened.
罗柏抿紧嘴唇。
“.… until they told me that Theon had murdered Bran and Rickon.
“……直到他们告诉我席恩谋杀了布兰和瑞肯,很明显,
Small good their wolves did them.
两匹狼救不了弟弟们。
I am no longer a boy, Mother.
母亲,我不再是孩子了,
I’m a king, and I can protect myself.”
我是国王,可以自己保护自己。”
He sighed.
他叹口气。
“I will find some duty for Ser Rolph, some pretext to send him away.
“我会为罗佛爵士找个任务,让他离开。
Not because of his smell, but to ease your mind.
不是因为他的气味,而是为了你。
You have suffered enough.”
你已经受够了折磨。”
Relieved, Catelyn kissed him lightly on the cheek before the others could come around the turn of the stair,
趁其他人还没转过楼梯拐弯,凯特琳欣慰地在罗柏脸颊轻轻一吻。
and for a moment he was her boy again, and not her king.
片刻间,他又成为她的孩子,而不是她的国王。