“The honor is mine,” Catelyn said.
“非常荣幸,”凯特琳说。
Can Robb have won the Crag’s allegiance?
罗柏收服了峭岩城的维斯特林家族?
If so, it was no wonder the Westerlings were with him.
若是这样,就没什么好奇怪的了。
Casterly Rock did not suffer such betrayals gently.
可是,凯岩城遭到如此背叛,一定咽不下这口气。
Not since Tywin Lannister had been old enough to go to war …
是的,自打泰温·兰尼斯特能骑马上战场起就不会……
The maid came forward last, and very shy.
那美貌少女最后一个走上前,表现得很羞涩。
Robb took her hand.
罗柏执起她的手。
“Mother,” he said, “I have the great honor to present you the Lady Jeyne Westerling.
“母亲,”他说,“我怀着最大的荣幸向你介绍简妮·维斯特林小姐,
Lord Gawen’s elder daughter, and my … ah … my lady wife.”
加文大人的长女,我的……呃……我的夫人。”
The first thought that flew across Catelyn’s mind was, No, that cannot be, you are only a child.
闪过凯特琳脑海的第一个想法是:不,这不可能,你只是个孩子。
The second was, And besides, you have pledged another.
第二个是:况且你已经许了一个。
The third was, Mother have mercy, Robb, what have you done?
第三个是:圣母慈悲,罗柏,你都干了些什么?
Only then came her belated remembrance.
这时她明白了。
Follies done for love?
为爱而犯下的愚行?
He has bagged me neat as a hare in a snare.
他干净利落地把我象兔子一样套进陷阱,
I seem to have already forgiven him.
让我不得不原谅他,接受他。
Mixed with her annoyance was a rueful admiration;
凯特琳虽恼火,却又感到一丝沮丧的钦佩,
the scene had been staged with the cunning worthy of a master mummer … or a king.
这出戏演得真巧妙……国王的游戏就该这样。
Catelyn saw no choice but to take Jeyne Westerling’s hands.
凯特琳别无选择,只好握住简妮·维斯特林的手。
“I have a new daughter,” she said, more stiffly than she’d intended.
“我又添了一个女儿,”她说,却觉得声音比较生硬,
She kissed the terrified girl on both cheeks.
于是亲吻对方的双颊,
“Be welcome to our hall and hearth.”
“欢迎来到我们的大厅,与我们共享壁炉。”
“Thank you, my lady.
“谢谢您,夫人,
I shall be a good and true wife to Robb, I swear.
我会成为罗柏忠诚的好妻子,我发誓,
And as wise a queen as I can.”
尽力做个贤明的王后。”
Queen. Yes, this pretty little girl is a queen, I must remember that.
王后。对,这个漂亮小姑娘是王后了,我必须记住。
She was pretty, undeniably, with her chestnut curls and heart-shaped face, and that shy smile.
她的美貌无可挑剔,栗色卷发和心形的脸,还有那羞涩的笑容。
Slender, but with good hips, Catelyn noted.
她虽苗条,但臀部很大,凯特琳心想,
She should have no trouble bearing children, at least.
生孩子应该没问题。
Lady Sybell took a hand before any more was said.
希蓓儿夫人举起一只手,
“We are honored to be joined to House Stark, my lady, but we are also very weary.
“夫人,我们很荣幸加入史塔克家族的事业,但此刻,业已人困马乏。
We have come a long way in a short time.
陛下,从西境急匆匆赶来,
Perhaps we might retire to our chambers, so you may visit with your son?”
是否可以准我们先回房间,让您们母子好好聊聊呢?”
“That would be best.”
“如此最好,”
Robb kissed his Jeyne.
罗柏亲吻简妮,
“The steward will find you suitable accommodations.”
“总管会为你们安排住处。
“I’ll take you to him,” Ser Edmure Tully volunteered.
“我带您们去找他,”艾德慕·徒利爵士自告奋勇。
“You are most kind,” said Lady Sybell.
“您真好心,”希蓓儿夫人道。
“Must I go too?” asked the boy, Rollam.
“我也得去吗?”男孩洛拉姆问,
“I’m your squire.”
“我是您的侍从呀。”
Robb laughed.
罗柏笑道:
“But I’m not in need of squiring just now.”
“但我暂时不需要随侍。”
“Oh.”
“噢。”男孩一本正经地说。
“His Grace has gotten along for sixteen years without you, Rollam,” said Ser Raynald of the seashells.
“陛下没有你已经过了十六年,洛拉姆,”海贝徽章的雷纳德爵士说,
“He will survive a few hours more, I think.”
“依我看,再多过个几小时也无碍。”
Taking his little brother firmly by the hand, he walked him from the hall.
他牢牢拉住弟弟的手,将对方带离大厅。
“Your wife is lovely,” Catelyn said when they were out of earshot,
“你的夫人很可爱,”当维斯特林家的人全部走出耳力范围,凯特琳道,
“and the Westerlings seem worthy … though Lord Gawen is Tywin Lannister’s sworn man, is he not?”
“他们家族看来也很值得敬重……嗯,加文大人是泰温·兰尼斯特的封臣,对吧?”
“Yes.
“是的。
Jason Mallister captured him in the Whispering Wood and has been holding him at Seagard for ransom.
他被杰森·梅利斯特在呓语森林俘虏,现关押于海疆城待赎。
Of course I’ll free him now, though he may not wish to join me.
不管他愿不愿加入我方,我都将立刻释放他,
We wed without his consent, I fear, and this marriage puts him in dire peril.
恐怕我们未征得他的同意就结了婚,将他置于极其危险的境地。
The Crag is not strong.
峭岩城势孤力薄,
For love of me, Jeyne may lose all.”
为了对我的爱,简妮可能失去一切。”
“And you,” she said softly, “have lost the Freys.”
“而你,”她柔声道,“失去了佛雷家族。”
His wince told all.
他怔了一下。
She understood the angry voices now, why Perwyn Frey and Martyn Rivers had left in such haste,
她明白了,明白了那些愤怒的叫嚣,明白了派温·佛雷和马丁·河文的离开,
trampling Robb’s banner into the ground as they went.
明白了他们践踏冰原狼旗的举动。
“Dare I ask how many swords come with your bride, Robb?”
“请问,你的新娘为你带来多少军队,罗柏?”
“Fifty. A dozen knights.”
“五十个人,其中有十来位骑士。”
His voice was glum, as well it might be.
他声音阴郁,正如她所预料。
When the marriage contract had been made at the Twins,
当初孪河城方面为缔结婚约,
old Lord Walder Frey had sent Robb off with a thousand mounted knights and near three thousand foot.
可是慷慨地派出一千名骑士和近三千步兵。
“Jeyne is bright as well as beautiful.
“母亲,简妮不仅聪明美丽,
And kind as well. She has a gentle heart.”
而且十分善良,她有一颗温柔的心。”
It is swords you need, not gentle hearts.
你需要的是军队,不是温柔的心。
How could you do this, Robb?
你怎能这么做,罗柏?
How could you be so heedless, so stupid?
你怎能如此不计后果,如此卤莽?
How could you be so … so very … young.
你怎能如此……如此……幼稚。