At first, no. The biggest toy store initially turned me down, but finally I saw their chief buyer Jim Taylor.
开始的时候并不是的。最大的玩具店起初拒绝了我,但最后我见到了他们的首席采购员吉姆·泰勒。
He liked my business plan,but told me that what I had to offer probably had zero value to him.
他喜欢我的商业计划,但告诉我,我提供的东西对他来说可能毫无价值。
So I asked for five minutes to do a presentation and I pulled out all the stops.
所以我要求五分钟的时间来做一个演讲,我使出了浑身解数。
I made a Ferris wheel, a windmill and a bulldozer and within a couple of minutes Jim Taylor was won over.
我做了一个摩天轮,一个风车和一台推土机,几分钟之内,吉姆·泰勒就被说服了。
I sold one million pounds worth of toys through his store that first year.
第一年我通过他的商店卖了价值一百万英镑的玩具。
An amazing success story. But it didn't stop there, did it?
一个惊人的成功故事。但这还没完,不是吗?
No. Elto, one of the companies which had turned me down initially, contacted me and said they were interested in my designs after all.
没完。最初拒绝我的公司之一Elto联系了我,说他们对我的设计感兴趣。
So I negotiated a deal with them to form a partnership to make Klikset and market it abroad.
所以我和他们谈了一笔交易,成立了一个合作伙伴关系,生产Klikset并在国外销售。
I even persuaded them to buy ten per cent of my business for ten million pounds.
我甚至说服他们以1000万英镑买下我公司10%的股份。
They wanted a fifty-fifty partnership but I wanted to keep control of my business.
他们想要五五分成的合伙关系,但我想掌控我的业务。
Finally, Desmond,what do you put your success down to?
最后,德斯蒙德,你认为你的成功得益于什么?
Well, however much you plan you can never be sure how things will turn out.
好吧,不管你做了多少计划,你永远无法确定事情的结果。
You have to make decisions and just live with the consequences.
你必须做出决定,忍受后果。
I've always learnt something from my mistakes.
我总是从错误中吸取教训。
Well thank you Desmond for your wonderful...
谢谢德斯蒙德的精彩……