Woman:Is that because of competition?
女:那是因为竞争吗?
Man: I'm not quite sure what the competition is, really.
男:我不太确定竞争是什么,真的。
Actually I have to admit I'm hopeless at driving a hard bargain, and I know some of my suppliers are taking advantage of that.
事实上,我必须承认我的讨价还价能力很差,我知道我的一些供应商正在利用这一点。
So I have to pay a lot, which makes it difficult to sell to customers at a profit.
所以我要付很多钱,这使得我很难把产品卖给顾客来盈利。
Woman: Are margins the only problem?
女:利润是唯一的问题吗?
Man: Well not the only one. You see, at first I tried selling lots of different products to a variety of small shops, toyshops, jewellers, and so on.
男:并不是唯一的问题。你知道,起初我试着向许多小商店、玩具店、珠宝店等出售了许多不同的产品,
But I got very few actual sales. So then I considered supermarkets.
但我的实际销售额很少。然后我考虑了超市。
I managed to see a product development manager, who seemed interested in my range of specialist food products.
我见到了一个产品开发经理,他似乎对我的一系列特定产品感兴趣。
But then I heard from the company that they weren't going to order anything — a new buyer had been appointed-
但是后来我从那家公司听说他们什么产品也不订了——已经确定了一个新的买主,
and if I contacted them again in due course, they'd reconsider.
如果我在适当的时候再联系他们,他们会重新考虑的。
Woman:What happened next?
女:接下来发生了什么?
Man:Out of the blue, a restaurant chain placed a large order for food products.
男:突然,一家连锁餐厅下了一大笔食品订单。
There was some difficulty about the price, but that was settled.
在价格上有一些困难,但问题已经解决了。
Woman:It sounds like a turning point.
女:听起来这是一个转折点。
Man: Unfortunately it wasn't. The first consignment arrived from my supplier,
男:不幸的是,它并不是一个转折点。我的供应商送来了第一批货,
I called the restaurant chain to fix delivery dates, only to be told they'd stopped trading. That was quite a blow.
我给连锁餐厅打电话确定送货日期,但他们说会停止交易。那真的是一个打击。
Woman:I can imagine.
女:我可以想象。