And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
Sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to face it head on. But sometimes … it is not.
有时候,解决问题的最好方法是直面它。但有时……情况并非如此。
In some cases, it can be a good idea to give a problem or a difficult situation time and space.
在某些情况下,给问题或困境留出时间和空间可能是个好主意。
Sometimes we just don't want to deal with it--whatever it is.
有时候我们只是不想解决它——不管它是什么。
So, we ignore a situation and act as if the problem does not exist.
因此,我们会对某种情况置之不理,就像问题不存在一样。
And of course, we have an expression just for that! Actually, we have a couple.
当然,我们有一个专门用来表达这一点的短语!实际上,我们有几个短语。
But the first one we will talk about is this: to let sleeping dogs lie.
但我们要谈的第一个短语是:to let sleeping dogs lie。
"To let sleeping dogs lie" means to do nothing in a situation.
“To let sleeping dogs lie”的意思是在某种情况下什么都不做。
Sometimes taking action can make things worse.
有时采取行动会让事情变得更糟。
Sometimes it is best to "leave well enough alone" and to not "stir up trouble"--in some cases, more trouble.
有时最好是“不要添乱”,不要“惹是生非”——在某些情况下,会有更多的麻烦。
That is when we let sleeping dogs lie.
那时我们就别惹麻烦。
There are other expressions that have a similar meaning.
还有其他的短语也有类似的意思。
When we "let nature take its course" we do not interfere.
当我们“顺其自然”时,我们不会干涉。
We sit back and let events unfold.
我们静观其变,任其发展。
To let something unfold means to permit it to happen naturally.
To let something unfold的意思是让它自然发生。
Now, turning a blind eye to something is different.
对某些事情睁一只眼闭一只眼是不同的。
This is when you choose to ignore something.
它的意思是你选择不理睬某些事情。
Usually it is something bad that someone else has done.
通常是别人做的坏事。
In this case, you also choose to do nothing.
在这种情况下,你也可以选择什么都不做。
If you turn a blind eye to something you stand by and let it happen.
如果你对某事睁一只眼闭一只眼,你就是在袖手旁观,任由它发生。
For example, when teachers turn a blind eye to bullying in the classroom, really bad things can happen.
例如,当老师对课堂上的欺凌行为视而不见时,可能就会发生非常糟糕的事情。
Sometimes turning a blind eye, though, is helpful.
不过,有时睁一只眼闭一只眼是有帮助的。
For example, if your friend has a bad habit and you choose to ignore it -- you are turning a blind eye to their bad habit.
例如,如果你的朋友有一个坏习惯,而你选择对其置之不理——你就是对他们的坏习惯视而不见。
Now, let's listen in on two friends as they use some of these expressions.
现在,让我们来听听下面两位朋友是如何使用这些短语的。
Hey, do you have a minute? I really need to talk to someone.
嘿,你有空吗?我真的需要找个人谈谈。
Sure. What's wrong?
当然。怎么了?
My co-worker Jess is really mad at me.
我的同事杰西很生我的气。
What did you do?
你做了什么?
Well, he didn't get a promotion. So, at a work gathering recently, I told his boss that she made a mistake…
嗯,他没有升职。在最近的一次工作聚会上,我告诉他的老板,她犯了一个错误……
Oh no …
哦,不……
… and that she should give him the promotion.
……她应该给他升职。
Oh boy! That is a big no-no! You should never interfere in someone's work-life!
天啊!这是一个大禁忌!你不应该干涉别人的工作生活!
I know. I know. Now, I feel like I should call his boss and apologize.
我知道。我知道。现在,我觉得我应该给他的老板打电话道歉。
You definitely should not do that.
你绝对不要那样做。
But I made a mistake. I want to fix it.
但我犯了错。我想纠正错误。
That will not fix anything. You need to let sleeping dogs lie.
这解决不了任何问题。你不要惹麻烦。
A phone call is not a big deal.
打个电话又不是什么大事。
In this case … it is. Jess's boss most likely has forgotten your comment. But if you call her, it will only stir up more trouble!
在这种情况下……它是。杰西的老板很可能忘了你的评论。但是如果你打电话给她,只会引起更多的麻烦!
I guess you're right. But it's really hard to not do something.
我想你是对的。但不做点事情很难。
Think of it this way. If you meddle again, you could really make things worse for Jess. And then he may never talk to you again.
这样想吧。如果你再干涉,你可能真的会让杰西的处境变得更糟。然后他可能再也不会和你说话了。
You're right. I won't call. Maybe I'll send her a card.
你是对的。我不会打电话。也许我会给她寄张卡片。
You're hopeless.
你无可救药了。
And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories. Until next time … I'm Anna Matteo.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见……我是安娜·马特奥!
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!