第170句:
People will come to expect that injured or diseased organs are meant to be repaired from within,in much the same way that we fix an appliance or automobile: by replacing the damaged part with a manufacturer-certified new part.
人们将开始期望受伤或患病的器官可以从内部修复,正如我们修理设备或汽车那样,即使用获得制造商认证的新零件来取代受损的旧零件。
六级词汇讲解:
本句的主干是People will come to expect that...。第一个that引导的是expect的宾语从句that injured or diseased...new part,其中in much the same way引导的短语作该宾语从句的方式状语;第二个that引导的是way的定语从句;冒号后的内容则是对该定语从句进行解释。
be meant to意为“应该是,注定要”。如:
She was meant to be working yesterday, but she just fooled around all day.
昨天她本应工作的,但却闲混了一整天。
in much the same way意为“大致一样,使用相似的方式”。如:
We spend Valentine's Day in much the same way that the Americans do.
我们过情人节的方式和美国人大致一样。
replace意为“替换,代替”。如:
Cars have replaced horses as the normal means oftransport.
汽车已经取代马,成为一种常见的交通方式。
六级考点归纳:
replace、substitute和displace这几个动词均含“替代,取代”之意。
replace:最常用,指任何形式的替代,尤指以新的替代旧的、老的和坏的等,指人、指物均可。如:
I will replace that broken lock.
我要把那个坏了的锁换掉。
I must replace my secretary who is too lazy.
我必须换掉我的秘书,她太懒了。
substitute:主要强调某人或某物可以用来代替别的人或物的作用。如:
I substituted your name for mine on the list.
我把名单上我的名字换成了你的。
We substituted rice for potatoes.
我们用米代替马铃薯。
displace:侧重指用另外的人或物强行取代,指人时往往暗含带有不满情绪的意味。如:
He couldn't accept the fact that he was displaced by another young man.
他无法接受自己已被另一个年轻人顶替的事实。